Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello

I would like to know what is the most correct sentence to describe what the monkey is doing in the image below:
http://i.imgur.com/hlcE8sr.gif

Is it correct to say it is "whacking with a piece of wood"? Or "beating with", "striking with" a piece of wood?

Thanks!

Hello

I would like to know what is the most correct sentence to describe what the monkey is doing in the image below:
http://i.imgur.com/hlcE8sr.gif

Is it correct to say it is "whacking with a piece of wood"? Or "beating with", "striking with" a piece of wood?

Thanks!

It is hitting something with a piece of wood. You could also use "whacking" and "striking", but "hitting" is what I would use.

I'd use hitting too- whacking doesn't work as well here where it is using the wood as a tool, not striking it more randomly.

Ok, thanks!!!

Additionally, is it always necessary to include the object which is being hit after the verb "hitting"? I mean:
It is hitting a stone with a piece of wood

Or can I just say
It is hitting with a piece of wood.

Thanks!

Say a stone- it's the object of the verb.

Got it! Thank you!

Ok, thanks!!!

Additionally, is it always necessary to include the object which is being hit after the verb "hitting"? I mean:
It is hitting a stone with a piece of wood

Or can I just say
It is hitting with a piece of wood.

Thanks!

It is difficult to say for sure from the clip, but I doubt that the monkey is hitting a stone. What would be the purpose? My guess is the dark object is some sort of nut that the monkey is trying to break open.

By the way, it's not a monkey it's an ape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back