• Thread starter Asian
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,727
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Asian

Dear teachers,

The use of "be" boggles my mind. There are two sentences below and I am not sure
whether the use of "be" is correct or the use of "were" is correct. I need help on this.

(1) Should their vehicles WERE stolen from parking lot, they have to lodge a police
report.

( 2) Should their vehicles BE stolen from parking lot, they have to lodge a police report.

Some say, the use of "be" in the second sentence is wrong as it looks vague.

Dear teachers,

The use of "be" boggles my mind. There are two sentences below and I am not sure
whether the use of "be" is correct or the use of "were" is correct. I need help on this.

(1) Should their vehicles WERE stolen from parking lot, they have to lodge a police
report.

( 2) Should their vehicles BE stolen from parking lot, they have to lodge a police report.

Looking vague isn't a determinant of being wrong.
You use the bare infinitive in any sentence of this structure.

Should their vehicles be stolen ...
Should their vehicles have expired registration ...
Should their vehicles need repairs ...
Should their vehicles run out of gas ...

Dear teachers,

report.

***NOT A TEACHER***Yes, it can be very confusing. Just remember that the word "IF" is missing in this kind of elegant sentence. Your sentence = IF their vehicles SHOULD BE STOLEN from the ....(You would NEVER say: If their vehicles should were stolen....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back