correct pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlan79

Member Type
Student or Learner
I was taught that there are three ways to pronounce the past tense of regular verbs. loved /d/; cooked /t/ and visited /id/. I have noticed that a lot of native americans do not use or respect this rule even in formal language. my question is why do they do this? I posted it four days ago. pelase.

I was taught that there are three ways to pronounce the past tense of regular verbs. loved /d/; cooked /t/ and visited /id/. I have noticed that a lot of native americans do not use or respect this rule even in formal language. my question is why do they do this? I posted it four days ago. pelase.
Could you give any examples?

Hi carlan, and welcome to the forums.

I'd like to hear the examples as well.

How do you hear these being pronounced?

By the way, the phrase "Native Americans" refers to the indigineous people of North America (or the "American Indian" before the days of policial correctness).

[FONT=&quot]You’ll probably find that it’s /ɪd/, not /id/.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many English speakers pronounce this /əd/, which is by far the most common pronunciation in Australian English, and maybe in AmE as well.[/FONT]

I'm talking about English speakers. why do they say "stopped" /stopt/ (which I think It's correct) but "loved" /lovt/ and not /lovd/ as it shoud be. Am I wrong? thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back