[Grammar] correct grammar

• Thread starter schoolstudent
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,026
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

schoolstudent

What two word would u use in this sentence ?
Were laying
Lying
Were lying
Were laid
Was laid

It depends on what I wanted to say and the context:

"My wife and I were laying on the couch" - in casual speech.
"My wife and I were lying on the couch" - in formal speech.
"My wallet and keys were laying on the counter" - in casual or formal situations.
"My wallet and keys were laid on the counter" - emphasizes that someone put them there.
"My wallet was laid on the counter" - again emphasizing that someone did this, but this time there's only one item.

What two words would you use in this sentence? what sentence?

Were laying
Lying
Were lying
Were laid
Was laid

lay (vt)...lay laid laid (base form, simple past, past participle)
lie (vi)...lie lay lain

Now try to make sentences with your words above.

It depends on what I wanted to say and the context:

"My wife and I were laying on the couch" - in casual speech.
"My wife and I were lying on the couch" - in formal speech.
"My wallet and keys were laying on the counter" - in casual or formal situations.
"My wallet and keys were laid on the counter" - emphasizes that someone put them there.
"My wallet was laid on the counter" - again emphasizing that someone did this, but this time there's only one item.
This may be homework, and we try not to do homework for people. We encourage them to attempt the exercise themselves.

What two word would u use in this sentence ?
Were laying
Lying
Were lying
Were laid
Was laid
***NOT a teacher***schoolstudent, good morning. (1) Many (most?) Americans don't use these verbs correctly. (2) You will have to study hard, and then you will speak with confidence. (3) PLEASE memorize (and review these verbs every week). (4) TO LIE (not tell the truth) - lie, lied, lied, lying. (5) TO LIE (on your back) - lie, lay, lain, lying. (6) TO LAY (put something) -- lay, laid, laid, laying. (7) If you learn the four parts (present/past/past participle/present participle) of these three verbs, you will be able to use them correctly. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back