Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
New Zealand
Can anyone help me understand the meaning of "cop the flack"?
e.g. "If that advice is unsound or unpopular, they cop all the flack."

Regards
:?:

Can anyone help me understand the meaning of "cop the flack"?
e.g. "If that advice is unsound or unpopular, they cop all the flack."

Regards
:?:

'Cop' is an informal term with a very long pedigree; it's related to the German kaufen, but means, roughly, get or receive; or, in a usage widely known. arrest (that's what a 'copper' does).

By chance, the other problem word has Germanic roots. When aircraft were first used in warfare they were virtually invincible. German scientists devised a system of anti-aircraft weapon called Fliegerabwehrkanone (abbreviated 'flak'). When you receive a hostile reception you 'take the flak' ('take' is the version I've heard; 'cop' is current in the Australian 'cop it sweet' - which means to accept defeat without whining).

'Flack' is just a typical English misspelling; we often borrow a word and then return the favour by mispronouncing it and misspelling it! ;-)

b

Thanks BobK for your help!

Regards
chchkevin

'Flack' is just a typical English misspelling; we often borrow a word and then return the favour by mispronouncing it and misspelling it! ;-)

b

Let me disagree. You borrow a word and you adapt it to the needs and characteristics of the new language. It's only natural. If such things didn't happen, we'd be speaking Sanskrit, or whatever came before that. :)

Let me disagree. You borrow a word and you adapt it to the needs and characteristics of the new language. It's only natural. If such things didn't happen, we'd be speaking Sanskrit, or whatever came before that. :)

I love you Hedwig, but I think Bob's answer was spot on.

My tongue was half in my cheek, Hedwig. ;-) But knowing a bit about other languages is a trial to me: I shall never use the pseudo-singular 'panini' ('May I have a panini please?') or use the spelling 'pannini' (which is growing in popularity).

b

My tongue was half in my cheek, Hedwig. ;-) But knowing a bit about other languages is a trial to me: I shall never use the pseudo-singular 'panini' ('May I have a panini please?') or use the spelling 'pannini' (which is growing in popularity).

b

There is precedent. We eat pierogies here, though "pierogi" is already plural in its native Polish.

I also order a single "panino" every time, except in Paris, where it's "un panini" (hélas).

But at least the French version has different stress, which must salve your conscience a bit. ;-)

b

In Italian restaurants, most members of my family take delight in pronouncing (for example) "bolognese" correctly (bol-uh-nyay-zay not bol-uh-naise) and "bruschetta" (brusketuh not brushetuh). It's true that most languages make changes to words but I personally feel that it's important with things like foodstuffs to keep the correct word.

But at least the French version has different stress, which must salve your conscience a bit. ;-)

b

As a result of the German accent of the Teutonic Franks who gave France their name, I have to place the tonic accent on the last syllable of every single word (any subsequent syllables were inaudible in the Vulgar Latin of the Franks and thus disappeared)... so unfortunately I have to stress the very syllable that is wrong!

/pa ni 'ni/

Then again, you Anglophones use the plural salami instead of salame. :)

You Argentines know your Italian meat. And your footie. And your Tango. When will I get a job in Buenos Aires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back