English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.:-D

One of my students wrote "My sister cooked salad this morning".
Is it natural English?

(I think it depends on what kind of salad she made - "to cook" means "to prepare food by heating it".)

As Piscean has replied we don't cook salad, we usually make or prepare it.

As Piscean has replied we don't cook salad, we usually make or prepare it.

I have seen a "special" version of Caesar salad actually COOKED in one of The Kitchen Nightmares episode; the crazy cooks really cooked the romaine lettuce leaves. But Gordon Ramsay did not like it at all and recommended the chef to MAKE classic Caesar salad. :)

I have also seen recipes that involve cooking/frying lettuce and unless you are a culinary genius I think the results are probably always going to be pretty abysmal.

Would anyone care for a green-sludge-with-added-fat starter? ;-)

Spinach salad flambé is very delicious when cooked right.

It's about the only salad I know that you cook. Even so, the cooking is really just a brief flaming of the spinach.

--lotus

I think to say you cook a salad dish is like saying you "cook sushi". Certain ingredients (topping) are cooked but it is not the main method of preparation.

Yes. We don't cook potato salad -- even though we cook the potato before we make the salad.

But anything with flames, I'd be inclined to say it is cooking! :eek:nfire: (it was just an excuse to use the flaming emoticon)

--lotus

I think to say you cook a salad dish is like saying you "cook sushi". Certain ingredients (topping) are cooked but it is not the main method of preparation.

I would use make a salad even when I had to cook some of the ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back