Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
We can use contradictory to describe opinions. Can I use it to describe people?

For example: My mother is a contradictory person. She always ask me not to buy clothes because it wastes money. But when she buys clothes for herself, she thinks that's fine.

It doesn't work for me. You could consider obstreporous. Be aware, though, that that's a "fifty-cent" word (American English) which many people won't understand.

Last edited:
I might say she's peculiar. (I have used the phrase $25 word.)

Inconsistent

What is $25 word?
Expensive. Big. Extravagant.

Calling her contradictory isn't natural and doesn't really make sense.

You could say she's a woman of contradictions or she's full of contadictions. In that context, the noun form is much more natural.

What is a "$25 word"?
Always mark words or phrases you're writing about with quotation marks or italics.

Please get this right in the future. I'm tired of repeatedly reminding you.

I might say she's peculiar. (I have used the phrase $25 word.)

Apparently now it's $50. That's the ravages of inflation ;-)

So does Tarheel mean GS's ordinary words become fancy?
That's his implication, but I disagree with his definition. Traditionally, a fifty-cent word is a fancy, multisyllabic word that many people don't know. When the expression originated, 50¢ was a significant amount of money.

I'd call her 'contrary' (rhyming with 'Mary' - as in 'Mary, Mary quite contrary').

He means that it's fancier than GS's five-cent words.
I haven't mentioned five-cent words. The expression for polysyllabic ones is fifty-cent words. "Twenty-five dollar" or "fifty-dollar words" would be understood the same way, but I've never seen those terms used.

Telegram fees aside, I think the word Maybo is looking for is a hypocrite, which can mean a person who tells you it's wrong to do something, then goes and does it herself.

What about:
She doesn't practise what she preaches.
She doesn't walk the talk

And could we just mention sesquipedalian, which is a long word to describe using long words.

I don't understand "Telegram fees aside".:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back