Conjunction for describing: Because / As / Since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi

I am curious about tense agreement between a main clause and a subordinate clause using Because / As / since to describe reason.
I already know when a main clause has present tense or present-perfect tense, a subordinate clause comes along with any of the 12 tenses.
However, I am curious about if a subordinate clause has other tenses or not when a main clause has past or future tense(but actually present-tense).
e.g.)
a) Because you wanted to have a big breakfast, I will prepare it.

b) Since you ([STRIKE]will[/STRIKE]) want to have a meal, I will prepare it.
(Native speakers won't use future tense in subordinate clause as adverbial one to show future events. Rather than it, native speakers still use present tense, right?)

c) As you ([STRIKE]will[/STRIKE]) have lunch, I prepared it

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I completely understand your question.

Yes, you can use any tense in a subordinate clause regardless of whether the main clause is about the past, present or future.

Sentence c) is incorrect. It doesn't make sense. Sentences a) and b) are unnatural ways to say what I think you mean.

Tell us in more words what you want these sentences to mean, and how you want to use them.

Hi.

I am curious about tense agreement between a main clause and a subordinate clause using "because/as/since" to [STRIKE]describe[/STRIKE] express reason.

I already know that when a main clause [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] uses the present [STRIKE]tense[/STRIKE] or present-perfect tense, a subordinate clause [STRIKE]comes along with[/STRIKE] can use/include any of the 12 tenses.

However, I am curious about [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] whether a subordinate clause [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] can use other tenses or not when a main clause [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] uses the past or future tense space here (but actually present no hyphen here tense).

[STRIKE]e.g.)[/STRIKE] For example:

a) Because you wanted to have a big breakfast, I will prepare it.

b) Since you ([STRIKE]will[/STRIKE]) want to have a meal, I will prepare it.
(Native speakers [STRIKE]won't[/STRIKE] wouldn't/don't use the future tense in subordinate clause as an adverbial [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] to show future events. Rather, [STRIKE]than it,[/STRIKE] native speakers still use the present tense, right?)

c) As you ([STRIKE]will[/STRIKE]) have lunch, I prepared it.

Please note my corrections above.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question.

Yes, you can use any tense in a subordinate clause regardless of whether the main clause is about the past, present or future.

Sentence c) is incorrect. It doesn't make sense. Sentences a) and b) are unnatural ways to say what I think you mean.

Tell us in more words what you want these sentences to mean, and how you want to use them.

Hi
I simply want to know the rule about tense agreement between a subordinate clause and a main clause.
In most typical korean grammar books for English, they say the following. (I know the exceptional cases like 'If subjunctive', truth, historical events, scientific facts, habits, and proverbs)

For example:
<Main clause: present or present perfect tense>, <Subordinate clause: 12 tenses>
<Main clause: past or past perfect tense>, <Subordinate clause: past or past perfect tenses>

That's all about korean grammar books.
However I am still wondering about when the main clause has future tense, what kinds of tenses the subordinate clause has.
If possible, please give examples.
<Main clause: future tense>, <Subordinate clause: ??? tenses>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back