Confused about taking a TESOL course. Will it be worth it?

maryneal234

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm a writer by profession and have been thinking to pursue it more as a part-time thing while teaching full-time English in Japan. The problem I'm facing is - I have degree in computers with no previous background in education (not counting random kids I tutored in past as a side gig), and the chances of a non-native getting selected are very very low. I might be a non-native but I can speak and write English at C1 level. CELTA seemed like the only hope, but pursing it is not within my finances. That's when I came across TESOL Arizona, a course on Coursera, that looked legit and affordable (thanks to the financial aid). I really want to pursue this course but something keeps pulling me back. Am I making the right decision here? Is it worth the time and effort?

Does your first sentence indicate that you are considering cutting down on the paid writing that you do to teach English?

Ultimately it's up to you to decide if it would be worth the time and effort or not.

Have you checked out whether that qualification will be enough to get you a visa/work permit for Japan? You need to know if it's a recognised qualification there before you go any further. There's no point getting the qualification if it won't be enough to get you the requisite visa/permit to enter Japan.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back