Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
I have just read the following in a magazine and I'm not sure about the use of 'if' and 'so' in the same sentence:

If you want to watch an English movie so come and join in.

I'm also having difficulty with 'Don't hesitiate and come!' Surely this should be 'Don't hesitate to come!'

Help!

Many thanks.

I have just read the following in a magazine and I'm not sure about the use of 'if' and 'so' in the same sentence:

I'm also having difficulty with 'Don't hesitiate and come!' Surely this should be 'Don't hesitate to come!'

Help!

Many thanks.
***NOT a teacher***(1) Yes, I agree with you: If you want to watch an English movie, come and join in/ just come in and join us. (2) Yes: Don't hesitate to come! / Don't hesitate. Just come.

Thank you very much. :)

Both sentences sound quite normal (and grammatically correct) to me.
I would agree that so in the former sentence is superfluous but and in the latter is not.
I'd be grateful if somebody could explain it more thoroughly.

Both sentences sound quite normal (and grammatically correct) to me.
I would agree that so in the former sentence is superfluous but and in the latter is not.
I'd be grateful if somebody could explain it more thoroughly.

You are absolutely right. When you use ‘if’ in a sentence, it becomes a conditional sentence which can fall into three types. Any conditional sentence consists of two clauses, an "if" clause and a main clause. The simple present tense is the tense used in both clauses if it is zero conditional but it can be also used in a type-1 conditional, when the results are habitual or automatic; as:
If a commodity is in short, supply prices tend to rise. (Mark the main clause starting with a comma but no adverb like ‘so’ is used)

The example sentence is a type-1 conditional as explained above having the “if” clause in the present tense and is placed first. Therefore, the main clause ‘come and join us’ must start with a comma without ‘so’. It can also start with a polite expression like ‘please’ or a modal verb ‘may. Or ‘can’.
If you want to watch an English movie, please come and join in.
Or
If you want to watch an English movie, you may/can come and join in.

Help!

Many thanks.
***NOT a teacher***Although I think "Don't hesitate and come!" is "wrong," I believe that one of the posters believes that it is correct (instead of "Don't hesitate to come"). Could one of the excellent teachers at this site comment? We are all eager to expand our understanding of English grammar. Thank you.

***NOT a teacher***Although I think "Don't hesitate and come!" is "wrong," I believe that one of the posters believes that it is correct (instead of "Don't hesitate to come"). Could one of the excellent teachers at this site comment? We are all eager to expand our understanding of English grammar. Thank you.

"Don't hesitate and come" is wrong, it seems to say "don't hesitate", "don't come". "Don't hesitate to come" is correct, as is "don't hesitate, come".

"Don't hesitate and come" is wrong, it seems to say "don't hesitate", "don't come". "Don't hesitate to come" is correct, as is "don't hesitate, come".
Thank you very much. Your answer certainly resolves the issue for me and -- I hope -- other interested parties.

Thank you very much. Your answer certainly resolves the issue for me and -- I hope -- other interested parties.

:-D And thanks from me, too. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back