Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Good day to you.

Could you please tell me whether both usages of the verb "request" are in use in English and are correct.

I'm having a problem understanding the difference between "request sb to do smth" and "request that sb do smth". Is "request to" incorrect?

Take these two examples, "I request that you leave the building now" and "I request you to leave the building now".

Are they both correct and accepted in Present Day English? Please, I would really love to hear a professional detailed answer.

Good day to you.

Could you please tell me whether both usages of the verb "request" are in use in English and are correct?

I'm having a problem understanding the difference between "ask somebody
to do something" and "request that somebody do something".

Is "request to" incorrect? Yes.

Take these two examples, "I request that you leave the building now" and "I want you to leave the building now".

Are they both correct and accepted in p
resent-day English? The first is right, the second is wrong. See the corrections above.

Please, I would really love to hear a professional,
detailed answer.

There are no such words as "sb" and "smth." This isn't a chat room. Don't use them here. It takes us time to correct them. Thanks!

Good day to you!

Could you please tell me whether both usages of the verb "request" are in use in English and are correct?

I'm having a problem understanding the difference between "request somebody to do something" and "request that somebody do something". Is "request to" incorrect?

Take these two examples, "I request that you leave the building now" and "I request you to leave the building now".

Are they both correct and accepted in present day English? Please, I would really love to hear a professional detailed answer.

I would only use the first one.

Possibly, you are thinking of ask somebody to do something.

[Cross posted with Charlie.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back