Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The thread is NOT an English assignment, and actually, it's a test English composition (College English Test) in 2002. Writing is always hard to me, but I want to improve it. Here's the requirements of the composition: You are allowed thirty minutes to write a composition on the topic-Student Use of Computers. You should write at least 150 words, and base your composition on the information given below: the diagram above shows the average time students spend on computers (two hours in 1990, four hours in 1995, and 14 hours in 2002); what's your opinion about the reasons behind this change; what kind of difficulties still exist in student use of computers? ( I translate the requirements into English) The following is my answer:
Computers are changing our life
There is no doubt that internet and computers play an important role in our life nowadays. Whoever you are a college student or a business officer, computers are useful, efficient and convenient. That diagram shows our time spend on computers are increasing rapidly. In 1990, the average time on computers is just two hours, then in 1995, an two hours rise. However, we spend almost 14 hours on computers in 2002, and that gives me the food for thought.
From 1990 to 1995, the time doesn’t change very much, but from 1995 to 2002 the increase are incredible. The reasons why this unbelievable thing happens are many and various. First, at the beginning computers are complicated, expensive and difficult to operate, but now they are cheaper and more user-friendly. Second, reform and opening-up policy makes a great contribution to the growth. More and more students have the chance to study abroad, and computers will become an essential part in their study, communicating and entertainment. In order to adapt to new life abroad better, getting used to them earlier is a good choice for them. Last but not least, we are live in an era of rapid development of internet, and the widespread use of computer can be attributed to the increase.
Although we spend a lot of time on computers, that doesn’t mean we know everything about it. They are still complex. If they stop working suddenly or signaling an error, most of us either reboot it or ask for help. There isn’t an instant solution to this problem, and the only way, in my opinion, is to keep this proverb in mind-a fall into the pit; a gain in your wit. (293 words)

Any corrections are appreciated, and I will be more grateful if you can give me the explanation. By the way, corrections are not confined to my composition.

Can you post a copy of the diagram please?

Can you post a copy of the diagram please?
2.png
I can't find the original diagram:-( but it's familiar to this above. Frankly speaking, I just wrote the composition without referring to it (I read the description (2 hours in 1995...) and started writing.)

Last edited:
The thread is NOT an English assignment, and actually, it's a test English composition (College English Test [Strike]in[/Strike] - 2002. Writing is always hard [Strike]to[/Strike] for me, but I want to improve in it. [Strike]Here's[/Strike] Here are the requirements of the composition: You are allowed thirty minutes to write a composition on the topic-Student Use of Computers. You should write at least 150 words, and base your composition on the information given below: the diagram above shows the average time students [Strike]spend[/Strike] spent on computers (two hours in 1990, four hours in 1995, and 14 hours in 2002); what [Strike]'s your opinion about[/Strike] do you think are the reasons behind this change; what kinds of difficulties still exist in student use of computers? [I'm not sure what that means] (I have translated the requirements into English). The following is my answer:

Computers [Strike]are changing[/Strike] have changed our lives. [Strike]life[/Strike]
There is no doubt that the internet and computers play an important role in our [Strike]life[/Strike] lives nowadays. Whoever you are, whether a college student or an office worker, [Strike]business officer,[/Strike] computers are likely to be an important part of your life. They are useful, efficient and convenient. That diagram shows [Strike]our[/Strike] that the time people spend on computers [Strike]are[/Strike] is increasing. [Strike]rapidly.[/Strike] In 1990, the average time spent on computers [Strike]is[/Strike] was just two hours. Then in 1995, [Strike]an[/Strike] a two-hour rise was observed, which represented a doubling of the original figure. However after that, the number increased dramatically as [Strike]we spend[/Strike] people spent almost 14 hours on computers in 2002, and that gives [Strike]me the[/Strike] us food for thought.

From 1990 to 1995, the time [Strike]doesn’t[/Strike] did not change very much, but from 1995 to 2002 the increase was remarkable. [Strike]are incredible.[/Strike] The reasons [Strike]why this unbelievable thing happens[/Strike] for that are many and various. [Strike]First, at the beginning[/Strike] When they first came out, computers [Strike]are[/Strike] were complicated, expensive and difficult to operate, but [Strike]now[/Strike] afterwards, they [Strike]are[/Strike] became cheaper and more user-friendly. Second, [Strike]reform and opening-up policy makes a great contribution to the growth.[/Strike] more and more people [Strike]students have the chance[/Strike] are travelling to study or work abroad, and computers [Strike]will become[/Strike] are often an essential part [Strike]in[/Strike] of their work or study life. They also use their computers for communicating and entertainment. [Strike]In order to adapt to new life abroad better, getting used to them earlier is a good choice for them.[/Strike] [That's off topic] Last but not least, we [Strike]are[/Strike] live in [Strike]an era of rapid development of[/Strike] the internet age, and the widespread use of computer can be attributed to the pervasiveness of the internet. [Strike]increase.[/Strike]

Although we spend a lot of time on computers, that doesn’t mean we know everything about them. [Strike]it.[/Strike] They are still complex. If they stop working suddenly or signal [Strike]ing[/Strike] an error, most of us either reboot [Strike]it[/Strike] or ask an expert for help. [Strike]There isn’t an instant solution to this problem, and the only way, in my opinion, is to keep this proverb in mind-a fall into the pit; a gain in your wit.[/Strike] (293 words)

Thank you for spending time with me:) "what kinds of difficulties still exist in student use of computers". In this sentence, what I intend to express is there are still difficulties ahead of students or they still have difficulties at using computers.

Try:
What kinds of difficulties do students still have with computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back