Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Hi all (new user here) :)

I just came across the below sentence that left me quite thoughtful:

The customer just needs to login into their account and follows the same process as they are currently creating their QR-Code.

Both verbs here were conjugated according to the third person.

Need(s)= the adverb just in between should be irrelevant, I believe that this is correct;
follow(s) = I feel that adding the s here is somehow wrong but I can't quite explain why or identify any rules to support this.

Could a native teacher shed some light on this?

Many thanks, oh, by the way, great forum!

Luca

I'd use follow for the second.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I think the writer lost the thread and forgot he/she had used "needs to".

These would work:

The customer just needs to log in to their account and follow ...
The customer just logs in to their account and follows ...

Note my other change: "login" isn't a verb; it's a noun. We don't "login". We "log in".

Note my other change: "login" isn't a verb; it's a noun. We don't "login". We "log in".
We shouldn't, anyway. "Login" is very frequently used as a verb. Learners should not do this but they'll see it all over the place.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I think the writer lost the thread and forgot he/she had used "needs to".

These would work:

The customer just needs to log in to their account and follow ...
The customer just logs in to their account and follows ...

Thanks for this :) so, would the below be correct as a general principle/rule or there isn't a clear cut here?

.third person + needs to + any other following verbs without 's'
.third person + verb one with 's' + ( verbs connected with and) verb two with 's', etc. etc.

If that's the case, why needs to doesn't require the following verbs to be conjugated to the 3rd person?

Thanks,

Luca

Because it follows the verb need, the verb to log in is in the to-infinitive form. Infinitive forms are unconjugated.

. . . the same process as they are currently creating their QR-Code.

The "as"-clause has been bothering me, and I can no longer stay silent about it.

If it relates to "the same," there needs to be a preposition at the end: "the same process as they are currently creating their QR-Code with."

If it relates to "follow" (they follow the process [the same process] as they are creating the code), then "currently" should be "simultaneously."

The possibility that it modifies the main clause as a whole (cf. "Because they are currently doing this, they need to X and Y") seems rather unlikely to me.

If that's the case, why needs to doesn't require the following verbs to be conjugated to the 3rd person?

How can you rearrange that to make it an English sentence?
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back