Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"the CTIA will be releasing version 3.5 of its OTA test plan requiring both A-GPS and A-GLONASS in the second half of 2015 with the Spirent OTA test solution providing support for both."

In the above sentence can the 'in the second half of 2015' time frame also refer to the verb 'releasing' instead of 'requiring' without additional comma?

Last edited by a moderator:
"the CTIA will be releasing version 3.5 of its OTA test plan, requiring both A-GPS and A-GLONASS, in the second half of 2015, with the Spirent OTA test solution providing support for both."

My personal feeling is that the whole sentence needs several commas, as it appears to be a few clauses all bolted together without any at present.

I think it certainly needs at least two, and I would actually put the third in where shown after "2015". The first two definitely appear to be needed, because as you noticed, the meaning of the first clause continues to flow up to the word "2015".

You can sometimes test sentences to see if you have put two commas in the right place, because quite often you can delete the section in between and the sentence will still often make sense. In this instance the last section of the sentence refers to the first part I have struck through, and so that has to be deleted as well in order for the sentence to still make sense.

e.g.

"the CTIA will be releasing version 3.5 of its OTA test plan,[STRIKE] requiring both A-GPS and A-GLONASS[/STRIKE], in the second half of 2015[STRIKE], with the Spirent OTA test solution providing support for both[/STRIKE]."

It probably would have worked better if completely rewritten as two sentences:
"The CTIA will be releasing version 3.5 of its OTA test plan in the second half of 2015. This will require both A-GPS and A-GLONASS, with the Spirent OTA test solution providing support for both".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back