Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello!
Help me, please, about the exact meaning of the following passage. The words in bold are specially problematic. It is from the book The Parsi Community of India and the Making of Modern Iran, p. 169, by Afshin Marashi. I think "straddle" means "encompass" but I am not sure.

Purdavud’s radical assessment of the fall of the Sassanian Empire, like his comments on the Mongol conquest, was novel in its competent straddling of the hermeneutical divide between the “science” of orientalism and the ideology of nationalism.

Purdavud was an Iranian scholar of pre-Islamic Iran and a strong nationalist. Sassanian Empire was the national Empire of Iran destroyed by Mosleb-Arabs in 651 AC.

Imagine "straddle" as meaning having one leg on each side of a line (a divide - in this case the "hermeneutical divide", whatever that is!) His assessment managed to incorporate/include/cover both the "science of orientalism" and the "ideology of nationalism".

Imagine "straddle" as meaning having one leg on each side of a line (a divide - in this case the "hermeneutical divide", whatever that is!) His assessment managed to incorporate/include/cover both the "science of orientalism" and the "ideology of nationalism".
Thanks very much. Your Answer was a great help.

Thanks very much. Your answer was a great help.
You're welcome. However, please note that there is no need to add a new post to thank anyone. Use the "Thank" icon - you can find this by hovering over the "Like" button. It saves time for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back