Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I just want to know and use commonly used phrases but in textbooks are included all the idioms that exist. So, I wanted to ask you if the following school-related expressions are common in English? By 'common,' I mean to be used by, let's say, about 70% or more. Or, to put it more simply, is there any expression that is less common?
1. catch up
2. ace a test
3. pass with flying colours
4. burn the midnight oil
5. brainstorm something
6. cover a lot of ground
7. learn something by heart
8. brush up on (something)
9. cut class
10. drop out

P.S. Can I start a new thread with another group of idioms?

Last edited:
The above idioms (except item No. 5 which is not an idiom) are common to me.

To me 5 is not necessarily school-related. Brainstorming is practiced in contexts other than education, such as business for example.

It varies depending on region and generation (age).

I'm a Canadian under 40 years old; for my demographic, I'd say items 1 and 6 - 10 are all fairly common in spoken English (meeting your 70% threshold).

Of the items I mentioned, catch up and drop out are essential; cut class is quite useful to know, as is skip class. (same meaning).

I think that applies to much of North America, again for the younger generations. I couldn't say what the case is in Britain and elsewhere.

Thank you for your answer.

I am interested in knowing very well-known expressions or just well-known expressions; just not be rare, seldom used by locals or old-fashioned. I am particularly interested in American English, so your help is valuable. Therefore, I add 'skip class' to 'cut class,' and the remaining 2-5, might belong to an intermediate category? Neither very common nor rare?

Last edited by a moderator:
In my region all of your expressions are in frequent use.

In my region all of your expressions are in frequent use.
Oh much appreciated! Could I ask you for 3 more if you have time? I think these aren't common enough. But you tell me!
1. as easy as ABC
2. A for effort
3. put one's thinking cap on
Thank you in advance!

The first two of those three are also in frequent use in Canada. I suspect the third is a bit old fashioned. I don't recall seeing or hearing it in recent years.

The first two of those three are also in frequent use in Canada. I suspect the third is a bit old fashioned. I don't recall seeing or hearing it in recent years.
Oh really? I thought the first two weren't common at all, based on everything I've read. Books and apps are one thing, but reality from a native is another. You were a great help!

Last edited:
Be aware that, in the UK, there has been a bit of a backlash against the word "brainstorm" in the context of people getting together to come up with ideas. The problem is that a "brainstorm" is a medical event in people with epilepsy and some people say that it shouldn't be used in a completely different context.

Be aware that, in the UK, there has been a bit of a backlash against the word "brainstorm" in the context of people getting together to come up with ideas. The problem is that a "brainstorm" is a medical event in people with epilepsy and some people say that it shouldn't be used in a completely different context.
I had no idea, thanks for sharing this information. Then, what's a common equivalent? "Come up with"?

Thank you for your answer.

I am interested in knowing very well-known expressions or just well-known expressions; just not be rare, seldom used by locals or old-fashioned. I am particularly interested in American English, so your help is valuable. Therefore, I add 'skip class' to 'cut class,' and the remaining 2-5, might belong to an intermediate category? Neither very common nor rare?

My pleasure. I think it's useful to know everything on your list, except for phrase #4.

The phrases that I highlighted are the ones that I think you'll encounter the most when speaking; as for written English, I'd say they're all fairly common. But I can give my thoughts on 2-5:

2. ace a test

Everyone knows what these phrases mean; you may hear them spoken.

4. burn the midnight oil

This is the one example that I would say is not worth knowing in North America. I can't remember ever hearing someone say "burn the midnight oil"; "pull an all-nighter" would be more useful to you, in my opinion.

5. brainstorm something

You should know the verb "brainstorm"; you'll likely use it in a classroom setting, and possibly the workplace, depending on your job.

Cheers,
Luke

Are you asking us whether these are all teachable to an intermediate level? If so, I'd drop 4. The rest are all good, but as has been pointed out, 'brainstorm' isn't an idiom or a phrasal verb—just a normal verb, and it isn't usually transitive.

Also, think more carefully about the presentation. Are you sure you're going to represent the direct objects with the word 'something'?

Are you asking us whether these are all teachable to an intermediate level? If so, I'd drop 4. The rest are all good, but as has been pointed out, 'brainstorm' isn't an idiom or a phrasal verb—just a normal verb, and it isn't usually transitive.

Also, think more carefully about the presentation. Are you sure you're going to represent the direct objects with the word 'something'?
Thank you very much for your suggestions regarding 'brainstorm'. I mistakenly thought that its construction requires an object and not that it is primarily an intransitive verb. I will look for more information about this now that you have mentioned it.

My pleasure. I think it's useful to know everything on your list, except for phrase #4.

The phrases that I highlighted are the ones that I think you'll encounter the most when speaking; as for written English, I'd say they're all fairly common. But I can give my thoughts on 2-5:

2. ace a test

Everyone knows what these phrases mean; you may hear them spoken.

4. burn the midnight oil

This is the one example that I would say is not worth knowing in North America. I can't remember ever hearing someone say "burn the midnight oil"; "pull an all-nighter" would be more useful to you, in my opinion.

5. brainstorm something

You should know the verb "brainstorm"; you'll likely use it in a classroom setting, and possibly the workplace, depending on your job.

Cheers,
Luke
Thank you very much for your time. So, I will replace 'burn the midnight oil' with 'pull an all-nighter'. One clarification, can we use this in other situations besides studying? For example, if your child is sick and you stay up all night, or when you stay up for work, or with your phone?

Thank you very much for your time. So, I will replace 'burn the midnight oil' with 'pull an all-nighter'. One clarification, can we use this in other situations besides studying? For example, if your child is sick and you stay up all night, or when you stay up for work, or with your phone?
We typically use it to describe studying or working all night. I wouldn't use it to describe staying up with a sick child or just browsing on my phone.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back