Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

There're several different words meaning "to bury a person". I'd like to ask you whether they're all interchangeable or have some differences. Below I've provided some examples to make it clearer what I'm saying:

1) Peter the Great was committed to the ground in the Peter and Paul Cathedral in Saint-Petersburg in 1725

2) Prince Alexis, Peter's son, was inhumed in the cathedral after he was strangled in one of the cells of the Peter and Paul fortress

3) Empress Maria was originally buried in Copenhagen, but later, in 2006, she was interred in St.Petersburg

Do all these words/expressions mean the same or there is a difference between them?

Thank you

Hello,

There're several different words meaning "to bury a person". I'd like to ask you whether they're all interchangeable or have some differences. Below I've provided some examples to make it clearer what I'm saying:

1) Peter the Great was committed to the ground in the Peter and Paul Cathedral in Saint-Petersburg in 1725

2) Prince Alexis, Peter's son, was inhumed in the cathedral after he was strangled in one of the cells of the Peter and Paul fortress

3) Empress Maria was originally buried in Copenhagen, but later, in 2006, she was interred in St.Petersburg

Do all these words/expressions mean the same or there is a difference between them?

Thank you
They all mean the same.

While it's a logical opposite of "exhumed," I have never seen "inhumed" before. "Interred" would be the normal word I have seen used.

Are there any more synonyms for "to bury"?
Probably, if you hunt long enough. 'Bury' is the simplest. The others seem a little pretentious to me.

I can never hear interred without reciting in my head this limerick:

There was a young fellow from Ryde
Who fell down a sewer and died.
He'd also a brother
Who fell down another,
And now they're interred side by side.

Rover:mrgreen:

I can never hear interred without reciting in my head this limerick:
That thought did cross my mind, but I resisted the temptation.

I'm glad you didn't:). Youngsters need to be exposed to class.;-)

Probably, if you hunt long enough. 'Bury' is the simplest. The others seem a little pretentious to me.

They're euphemistic. You want to hear the funeral director say "Let us now proceed to the cemetery for final interrment" instead of "Let's go and bury him in the dirt now."

They're euphemistic. You want to hear the funeral director say "Let us now proceed to the cemetery for final interrment" instead of "Let's go and bury him in the dirt now."
I know which I go for. But then I know that when I shuffle off this mortal coil I will just rot. I can [STRIKE]live[/STRIKE] die with that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back