Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

When should I use commas when writing dates? In BrE.
For example, 'I was born in Paris on October 12th 1988.

These are examples from Swan.
1. 'He was born in Hawick on 14 December, 1942.'
2. '30th March(,) 2004.'

You only need a comma to separate two numbers.

"July 4, 1776"

I would say we always put a comma before the year when writing out dates that include the day, month and year.

I was born on March 14th, 1986.
I was born on 14th March, 1986.

Commas in dates used to be compulsory in business English. Their use is considered to be less and less important as the years go by.

I would say we always put a comma before the year when writing out dates that include the day, month and year.

I was born on March 14th, 1986.
I was born on 14th March, 1986.

The 'th' is optional, isn't it?
If I need to include 'in Paris' should I put it before 'on March 14th, 1986' and 'on 14th March, 1986' or at the end of the sentence?

The 'th' is optional, isn't it?
If I need to include 'in Paris' should I put it before 'on March 14th, 1986' and 'on 14th March, 1986' or at the end of the sentence?

The "th" is optional but I just think it's clearer with it. You could put "in Paris" in either position. I'd put it first but that's personal preference.

The "th" is optional but I just think it's clearer with it. You could put "in Paris" in either position. I'd put it first but that's personal preference.

I remember from English classes we had at school that we should first use an adverb of place and then an adverb of time. I haven't seen this rule in books since then.

Although directed to BrE speakers and at the risk of butting in, here are my personal AmE preferences/uses:
July 13, 2020 / 13 July 2020 (used frequently based on my military hitch) and no "th's"

Some points come to mind from this discussion:

Using the th when putting a date in the body of a text is very much a matter of personal preference. If writing for a business or a publication I would suggest checking if they have a style guide.

British people tend to put the number before the month while Americans are more likely to put the month name first.

The comma would usually be omitted if writing the date at the head of a letter or if dating a document.

British people tend to put the number before the month while Americans are more likely to put the month name first.

Just for information, I mix and match pretty randomly. If I'm asked my date of birth (without the year), sometimes I say "April the fourth" and sometimes "[the] fourth of April". I have no real preference for one over the other.

That's not my real date of birth, by the way - I wouldn't be so daft as to use my real personal information on a public forum!

See, we would write April 4 as 4/4, where you would write 4/4.

Just for information, I mix and match pretty randomly. If I'm asked my date of birth (without the year), sometimes I say "April the fourth" and sometimes "[the] fourth of April". I have no real preference for one over the other.

That's not my real date of birth, by the way - I wouldn't be so daft as to use my real personal information on a public forum!

If the year is added is there one one common way of saying it? You said If you are asked your date of birth (without the year), sometimes you say "April the fourth" and sometimes "[the] fourth of April".
When is 'the' optional? It's never written but I thought it should always be pronounced.

1. I was born on April the fourth'. Written April 4th.
2. I was born on the fourth of April. Written 4th April.
1. I was born on April the fourth' nineteen eighty-eight. Written April 4th, 1988.
2. I was born on the fourth of April nineteen eighty-eight. Written 4th April 1988.

Last edited:
If the year is added, is there one one common way of saying it? You said that if you are asked your date of birth (without the year), sometimes you say "April the fourth" and sometimes "[the] fourth of April".
When is 'the' optional? It's never written but I thought it should always be pronounced.
Yes, it would generally be used when speaking in BrE.

1. I was born on April the fourth'. Written
as "April 4th".
2. I was born on the fourth of April. Written
as "4th April.
1. I was born on April the fourth' nineteen eighty-eight. Written as "April 4th, 1988".
2. I was born on the fourth of April nineteen eighty-eight. Written as "4th April, 1988".

Note my corrections and comments above.

I honestly don't have a preference even with the year. I might give a very short answer - "four four eighty-six". I might say "[The] fourth of April nineteen eight-six". I might say "April the fourth nineteen eighty-six".

Note my corrections and comments above.

I honestly don't have a preference even with the year. I might give a very short answer - "four four eighty-six". I might say "[The] fourth of April nineteen eight-six". I might say "April the fourth nineteen eighty-six".
Oh, even "four four eighty-six" can be used. :shock:
When I am just anouncing the date, April 4th, 1988 is pronounced as April the fourth nineteen eighty-eight. And 4th April, 1988 as (the) fourth of April nineteen eighty-eight. Right? Of is never written like the. Am I right? Interesting... The is optional only at the beginning only in the second option in bold.

Oh, even "four four eighty-six" can be used. :shock:

I'm not sure why you're so shocked by this. It's a really handy way of giving one's date of birth, especially over the phone. It's simply the spoken version of "4/4/86" which is how it's commonly written.

When I am just announcing the date, "April 4th, 1986" is pronounced as "April the fourth nineteen eighty-six". And "4th April, 1988" as "(the) fourth of April nineteen eighty-six". Am I right?"Of" is never written [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] in the same way that "the" is. Am I right? Interesting. "The" is optional only at the beginning only in the second option in bold.

In BrE, you'll hear both "The fourth of April" and just "Fourth of April". It depends on how casual or otherwise the speaker is being. Frequently, the only time we're required to give our date of birth is when answering questions over the phone, perhaps when using our birthdate as a security question/answer. In that case, I would use as few words as possible. For example, my phone banking company require my full name, postcode and date of birth in order to ascertain that I'm who I say I am. The conversation goes something like this:

Bank: Thank you for calling Moneysafe. Can I take your full name?
Me: Helen Christina Smith.
Bank: Thank you. Can I take your postcode?
Me: BM6 8HU
Bank: Thank you. And your date of birth?
Me: Four four eighty-six.
Bank: Thank you. You're speaking to Jennifer. How can I help you today?

As far as the longer version goes, note that AmE speakers might say "April fourth nineteen eighty-six", without using "the". BrE speakers wouldn't omit "the".

As far as the longer version goes, note that AmE speakers might say "April fourth nineteen eighty-six", without using "the". BrE speakers wouldn't omit "the".
It's more than "might". We may include "the" when we omit the year (but we usually don't); if we include the year, we nearly always leave it out.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was specifically referring to written English.

Usually when you are asked for your birthdate (like at the pharmacy) the person is going to enter the number into the computer. If you say "April 4th" they have to translate and type in "4" for April. It's easier to just say " four four eighty-six."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back