Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
Austria
A comma is used after the word however in the following sentence constellation:
Petra heard a squeaking; however, she didn't bother to go outside to look where it came from.

If the word however were to be replaced with the word still would a comma after the word still be justified?

Sincerly,
Luca

A comma is used after the word however in the following sentence constellation:
Petra heard a squeaking; however, she didn't bother to go outside to look where it came from.

If the word however were to be replaced with the word still would a comma after the word still be justified?

Sincerly,
Luca

Yes, a comma after "still" would be correct.

Please mark out in some way the words you are asking about:
If the word "however" were to be replaced with the word "still", would a comma after the word still be justified?
If the word 'however' were to be replaced with the word 'still', would a comma after the word still be justified?
If the word however were to be replaced with the word still, would a comma after the word still be justified?
If the word however were to be replaced with the word still, would a comma after the word still be justified?

Does anyone refer to that as a constellation? That sounds a bit grandiloquent to me.

Please mark out in some way the words you are asking about:
If the word "however" were to be replaced with the word "still", would a comma after the word still be justified?
Indeed. And the second 'still' is still uncertain.

Please excuse my late reply.
I am very grateful for the plenty of your answers. A question that bothered me for a long time was answered.
Cheers and many thanks once more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back