Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, Teachers~
Please help me out.
In front of 'for example' in the next sentence, which is better comma(#1) or semcolon(#2)?

1. Before a license is issued, certain formalities must be accomplished, for example, testing the applicant's knowledge and skills required.

2. Before a license is issued, certain formalities must be accomplished; for example, testing the applicant's knowledge and skills required.

Thanks in advance

Tell us what you think the answer is. Then we will help you.

I think #1 is the answer.

I agree with you. There is no need for a semi-colon here.

I remember my high school English teacher being so obsessed with punctuation, especially semi-colons. That said, I believe #2 is correct because I was taught you use semi-colons to link two independent clauses which is the case here.

I am not a teacher.

I would avoid it altogether by recasting the sentence as follows:

Before a license is issued, certain formalities must be accomplished
, such as testing the applicant's knowledge and skills required.

I believe #2 is correct because I was taught to use semi-colons to link two independent clauses, which is the case here.
Sorry, Andrew - for example, testing the applicant's knowledge and skills required is not an independent clause: it lacks a finite verb.

testing the applicant's knowledge and skills required.

This doesn't read well for me. What exactly is required doing? I don't think either way of punctuating is right. And I don't think for example works especially well here.

Before a licence is issued, certain formalities, such as testing the required knowledge and skills, must be accomplished.

From a semantics points of view, ensuring the applicant has the required knowledge and skills doesn't seem like a "formality."

I also don't think we "accomplish" formalities. We may conduct or perform them, or dispense with them, but I've never seen "After we accomplish the formalities..."

We could complete​ the formalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back