[Vocabulary] Come upstairs! I'll show you my room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is a part of a conversation in an English book in Vietnam titled Tieng Anh 6 tap 1.

Nick: Hi Mi, welcome to our house!
Elena: Come upstairs! I'll show you my room.

This is question 1: Elena's room is on the first floor. (True or False).The answer to this question in the teacher book is False. I wonder if upstairs isn't on the first floor or it is not clear enough, so it is false.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a poor question.

In American English the statement is false, because AE speakers call the floor at street level the first floor.

In British English the statement is true, because BE speakers call the floor at street level the ground floor.

The book's author should have known that.

This is a part of a conversation in an English book in Vietnam titled Tieng Anh 6 tap 1.

Nick: Hi Mi, welcome to our house!
Elena: Come upstairs! I'll show you my room.

This is question 1: Elena's room is on the first floor. (True or false?)

The answer to this question in the teacher's book is False. I wonder if upstairs isn't on the first floor, or if it is not clear enough, so it is false.

Please note that Rover and I have made multiple fixes to post 1. Please make sure you post in the default font and font size and use line breaks so the text is easy to read. If you paste text in from somewhere else, you will have to make those changes manually before you submit your post.

My initial thought was exactly the same as Rover's - it depends on what you (or the writer) calls the first floor. In a building in the UK, you enter from the street onto the ground floor and would have to go upstairs to get to the first floor. In the US, you enter from the street onto the first floor. That would suggest that the answer would be True in the UK and False in the US. However, the text does not say how many flights of stairs they need to climb in order to get to Elena's room. For all we know, he room could be on the third, fifth, nineteenth floor! Knowing that they have to go "upstairs" to get to her room only tells us one thing - her room is not on the ground floor. On that basis, the answer again is False because we do not know for certain that her room is on the first floor.

It's a shame that we don't know how the author came to that answer, but the answer is False for both main variants. To clarify:

Elena's room is on the first floor. True or false?
BrE: False. We only know it's not on the ground floor. We don't know which upstairs floor it's on.

Elena's room is on the first floor. True or false?
AmE: False. It can't be on the first floor because she has to go upstairs to get to it.

To make it potentially even more confusing, if we can trust Wikipedia, the European system is more common in the southern part of Vietnam, while the American numbering system is more common in the northern part of the country!

So the answer may depend less on AmE vs. BrE than it does on north vs. south Vietnam....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back