Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi there,
my question is: what do these two mean and how can I use them?

thanks a lot for help.

hi there,
my question is: what do these two mean and how can I use them?

thanks a lot for help.
***NOT A TEACHER***pkustra, good afternoon. The meaning depends on how they are used in a particular sentence. I can give you a few examples: (1) Come (along) with me. = Come with me. "along" makes it stronger. Not necessary. (2) Come (over) to my home tonight. = visit me. "Over" makes it stronger. Not necessary. (3) Jim was very sick last month, but he is coming along very well. = he is getting better. The "along" is necessary. (4) Ok, everybody: Come along! Come along! = Move (along)!!! The "along" is necessary with "come,"
but not with "move." (5) Come (over) here right now!!! The speaker is angry. "Over" makes it stronger. Thank you.

thanks a lot one more time,
especially "come over" was a bit confusing to me.
At first I thought you could use it only if you were inviting someone to your HOUSE.
But from what you said it looks like that doesn't work that way,
which I'm glad to know because a few days ago I shouted to the guy:"can you come over here, please" and then I thought that perhaps I sounded a bit weird

thanks a lot one more time,
especially "come over" was a bit confusing to me.
At first I thought you could use it only if you were inviting someone to your HOUSE.
But from what you said it looks like that doesn't work that way,
which I'm glad to know because a few days ago I shouted to the guy:"can you come over here, please" and then I thought that perhaps I sounded a bit weird
You are very welcome. By the way, you did not sound "weird." You did say "please," and I guess you shouted because the place was noisy. As in any other language, meaning depends on many things -- such as the tone of your voice, your facial expression, etc. Some people, for example, can change even "thank you" into an insult!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back