Colour idioms

Status
Not open for further replies.

borsbali

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,

I found a very good exercise full of colour idioms for my pupils, but I do not know every solution for it. I marked it with points where I'm looking for a "colour" word in the sentence. I would also appreciate if you could add the meaning, too.

"This morning my wife called me yellow-bellied for not wanting to start my own business. Actually, I'm just afraid of all the rep tape involved. This afternoon, she told me she is leaving me for a man in the oil business. She thinks the grass will be greener on the other side just because he has a lot of money from all that ... .... (2 words are missing). Personally, I think he's just a rich ...neck who is responsible for more than his share of green house gas emissions. So, the no-good ...digger has shown her true colours and is moving out. This evening she is going to catch the ...-eye to Houston. Tomorrow she says her lawyers will start divorce proceedings. She'll get the ...mine and I'll get the shaft."

Thanks a lot,

Balázs.

Hi,

I found a very good exercise full of colour idioms for my pupils, but I do not know every solution for it. I marked it with points where I'm looking for a "colour" word in the sentence. I would also appreciate if you could add the meaning, too.

"This morning my wife called me yellow-bellied for not wanting to start my own business. Actually, I'm just afraid of all the rep tape involved. This afternoon, she told me she is leaving me for a man in the oil business. She thinks the grass will be greener on the other side just because he has a lot of money from all that ... .... (2 words are missing). Personally, I think he's just a rich ...neck who is responsible for more than his share of green house gas emissions. So, the no-good ...digger has shown her true colours and is moving out. This evening she is going to catch the ...-eye to Houston. Tomorrow she says her lawyers will start divorce proceedings. She'll get the ...mine and I'll get the shaft."

Thanks a lot,

Balázs.
"This morning my wife called me yellow-bellied for not wanting to start my own business. Actually, I'm just afraid of all the rep tape involved. This afternoon, she told me she is leaving me for a man in the oil business. She thinks the grass will be greener on the other side just because he has a lot of money from all that black gold (2 words are missing). Personally, I think he's just a rich redneck who is responsible for more than his share of green house gas emissions. So, the no-good gold digger has shown her true colours and is moving out. This evening she is going to catch the red-eye to Houston. Tomorrow she says her lawyers will start divorce proceedings. She'll get the goldmine and I'll get the shaft."

How about:
The trouble is I am just a greenhorn, and I am leery of all the red tape that might be involved.
:)

In the original posting, green house should be greenhouse. It is not a house which happens to be the colour green.

Not a teacher.

I'm tickled pink to see so many color idioms.
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back