Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Europe
It is an axiom of narration that truth should coincide with probability, and the realist is perpetually hampered by the wild exaggeration of actual facts; a verbatim report of the conversation at Mrs. Branderton’s dinner-party would read like a shrieking caricature. The anecdote reigned supreme.

From
Mrs. Craddock (set in the late 19th century) by W Somerset Maugham

What does the underlined sentence imply?

axiom of narration = basic part of recounting something

truth should coincide with probability = nothing is absolute; there should be room for leeway

realist is hampered by exaggeration of facts = a realistic reporter has the dilemma of what to do with exaggerated/over-hyped points (should they be reported as they are, or should they be interpreted?)

truth should coincide with probability = nothing is absolute; there should be room for leeway

For "truth should coincide with probability", does it mean "truth is entirely contained in probability" or "truth meets probability in some part"?

Re: truth should coincide with probability

I disagree with posts #2 and #4. (That is, if I understand them properly.)

I think it means that when people tell anecdotes, it's sometimes difficult to know whether or not they are exaggerating. They say some things that are completely true, mixed in with other things that are not completely true.

Could anyone please explain "truth should coincide with probability" in a simple way?
Why should truth be the same as probability?

"Coincide" doesn't mean "be the same as".

In your "Eiffel" example,which is the "truth" and the "probability", who is the "realist" and what is "the exaggerated facts"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back