Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I would like to ask about the concept and also word "coat of arms".

A coat of arms is a heraldic visual design on an escutcheon (i.e., shield), surcoat, or tabard. The coat of arms on an escutcheon forms the central element of the full heraldic achievement which in its whole consists of shield, supporters, crest, and motto. A coat of arms is traditionally unique to an individual person, family, state, organization or corporation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms

Can't it be on almost anything? Isn't it usually in the form a flag? What are the other names for it? Is it an assambly? Are "arms", "blazon", "blazonry" synonyms of "coat of arms"? If we think of "coat" in "coat of arms" on its own, what is the definition of it? Which of the definitions in the link describe it?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/coat

Have you any more questions you'd like to add before we start tackling that list?

I would like to discuss it with all its aspects. No, I don't have. Maybe after the existing ones. I didn't realized there were seven questions; nor did I think you would find this either awkward or surprising.

Last edited:
We encourage members to ask one or two questions per thread. Any more than that, and it can get very confusing when responses cover just one or some of them, but not all.

We encourage members to ask one or two questions per thread. Any more than that, and it can get very confusing when responses cover just one or some of them, but not all.

I think questions are very basic and straightforward ones. I don't think there will be any confusion when someone answer this thread. I don't think there will be any problem with the flow of the topic and I don't think someone will have difficulty to following. Or by implication do you mean I should delete some part of the post 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back