[General] Closing Signing of a Business Letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rums03@gmail.com

Member Type
Other
What is the Legal implications for signing a Business Letter as :-

For and on behalf of :-
(name of the company)
AND

Yours faithfully,

xyz.

The person signing is, I believe, acting as a fiduciary- they are expected to hold the highest standards of care in their actions, or face the legal consequences. However, this is a question of law and I would recommend asking a lawyer for the details of what it involves.

The person signing is, I believe, acting as a fiduciary- they are expected to hold the highest standards of care in their actions, or face the legal consequences. However, this is a question of law and I would recommend asking a lawyer for the details of what it involves.

Very good advice, Rums03.

I recall a problem, years ago, when I was working in Germany. In England at the time a letter might be signed: J Bloggs pp Fred Smith. This simply meant that J Bloggs (probably a secretary) had signed the letter for Fred Smith, who had left the office before the letter had been typed up for his signature. At least, that was what I understood. In Germany, however, I discovered that it meant that J Bloggs had full legally-recognised authority to sign for, and on behalf of, Fred Smith. If the letter committed Fred to anything legally, then J Bloggs would have committed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back