Climbing "up to" the highest mountain "on" the world "needs"...-correct or incorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Climbing "up to" the highest mountain "on" the world "needs"...-correct or incorrect?

Climbing up to the highest mountain on the world needs a strong will, a lot of courage and physical strength.
(1)Is this sentence correct?
I think it should be as-
Climbing UP the highest mountain IN the world needs a strong will, a lot of courage and physical strength.
or
Climbing the highest mountain IN the world needs a strong will, a lot of courage and physical strength.

(2)Is the verb need used properly here? I think that to use the verb require would be more proper here. Do you agree with me?

Re: Climbing "up to" the highest mountain "on" the world "needs"...-correct or incorr

Where are you finding these sentences you are asking about, z765431?

In this case, your amendments are both correct (the second—without 'up'—is preferable) and both 'need' and 'require' are equally good.

Re: Climbing "up to" the highest mountain "on" the world "needs"...-correct or incorr

Where are you finding these sentences you are asking about, z765431?
These sentences are from my teacher's handouts. My teacher is not an English native speaker, so there're usually some mistakes in those handouts. So, I picked some that I thought it's somewhat wrong to ask here.

Last edited by a moderator:

So you are asking us to give you the answers to your class assignments, are you?

These are Not my homework. These are sentences that I found a little odd from my teacher's handout. I just want to conform what's the correct way of saying them. As what I said, my teacher is NOT an English native speaker, so there might be some mistakes in her handout. When I questioned her, she usually didn't think she is wrong, so the only way that I could solve all my questions is to post them here. I'm not kind of bored to ask you all to do my homework for me. I just want to learn the most correct English!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back