Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I like citrus fruit, such as/like oranges and lemons.

The sentence above is a random sentence I wrote to use as an example.

Here is the thing. I always use such as, because to me, like sounds ambiguous in such sentences (it might as well mean fruit similar to oranges and lemons, not necessarily including them, so I use such as to avoid ambiguity).

However, I recently read somewhere that such as is formal and native speakers use like more often than not in such cases. Should I go back to my text and replace such as with like in sentences of this kind? Will my text look unnatural or ludicrous with such as?

I like citrus fruit, such as/like oranges and lemons.

The sentence above is a random sentence I wrote to use as an example.

Here is the thing. I always use such as, because to me, like sounds ambiguous in such sentences (it might as well mean fruit similar to oranges and lemons, not necessarily including them, so I use such as to avoid ambiguity).

However, I recently read somewhere that such as is formal and native speakers use like more often than not in such cases. Should I go back to my text and replace such as with like in sentences of this kind? Will my text look unnatural or ludicrous with such as?
I would consider them synonymous terms, but I would prefer "such as" in your example to avoid the use of "like" a second time.

Should I go back to my text and replace such as with like in sentences of this kind?

You should probably go back, yes. Whether you need to edit anything is hard to say but it's highly likely.

Will my text look unnatural or ludicrous with such as?

Unnatural, very possibly. Ludicrous, probably not.

The choice of word comes from the context. We can't advise you very well if you don't show us the context.

I would consider them synonymous terms, but I would prefer "such as" in your example to avoid the use of "like" a second time.
So, if there was a different verb (e.g. I eat citrus fruit...) would like sound more natural?

On another note, in the meantime, I did further research and found this article, which seems to agree with my initial thoughts...

I agree that it depends on context. However, they are often used interchangeably, your "Chuck" sentences being good examples of that.

So, if there was a different verb (e.g. I eat citrus fruit...) would like sound more natural?
Not to me, but it does sound less unnatural without the same verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back