Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi everyone, My name is Clint, I am new to this site. I'm hoping to have someone check this for punctuation, etc.:cool:

Circuit Switch​

Your brain is like a circuit switch. Once you believe you are something, you actually embody it, you embody that feeling. If you were, for God forbid, in a coma and you wake up, and you didn’t really have a memory of who you were and you were told you were a navy seal, and that you were told that they want you back now, when you’re healthy. Do you think you would act differently, conduct yourself differently, and have a different self-concept of who you are? Then if you were told you were a piano instructor? Being successful in life, is all about having the proper belief system in who you are. If you truly believing that you are someone unique, that you are someone special. If you truly believe inside of you that you are one of the most successful people in the world, you would be totally different, then if you were like, I hope I’m good. Your expression will be totally different, your tone of voice, you will talk in a more convincing fashion, you will use your natural voice instead of a scripted one. You’ll be more real and more relatable. Our brain is like a circuit, so if we introduce it with proper wiring, you are going to go straight to your target. If you are unsure about who you are, then your dreams and goals will never become a reality. Everyone has mental doubts in life and internal conflicts, even the most successful people that you look up to. But they don’t live there, it is how you handle those thoughts in that exact moment and how you overwhelm them with positive actions and that comes with the up most confidence in yourself, that you are better then the moment.

Your brain is like a circuit switch. Once you believe you are something, you actually embody it; you embody that feeling. If you were, [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] God forbid, in a coma and you woke up, and you didn’t really have a memory of who you were, and you were told you were a navy seal, and that [STRIKE]you were told that[/STRIKE] they want you back now [STRIKE], when[/STRIKE] that you’re healthy, do you think you would act differently, conduct yourself differently, and have a different self-concept of who you are than if you were told you were a piano instructor? Being successful in life, is all about having the proper belief system in who you are. If you truly believe [STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] that you are someone unique, and that you are someone special; if you truly believe inside of you that you are one of the most successful people in the world, you would be totally different than if you were like "I hope I’m good." Your expression and your tone of voice will be totally different. [STRIKE]your tone of voice,[/STRIKE] You will talk in a more convincing fashion. You will use your natural voice instead of a scripted one. You'll be more real and more relatable. Our brain is like a circuit, so if we [STRIKE]introduce[/STRIKE] equip it with proper wiring, we can achieve better results. [STRIKE]you are going to go straight to your target.[/STRIKE] If you are unsure about who you are, then your dreams and goals will never become a reality. Everyone has mental doubts and internal conflicts in life, [STRIKE]and internal conflicts,[/STRIKE] even the most successful people that you look up to. But they don't live there. It is how you handle those thoughts in that exact moment, and how you overwhelm them with positive actions that's important. And that comes with having the utmost [STRIKE]the up most[/STRIKE] confidence in yourself; that you are better than the moment.

I learnt a new word today-- "relatable." :) :up:

Thanks. I was wondering if this is one large paragraph, or can you split it up to make it more easy on the eye's to read?

Does this piece come from the script of a video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=86&v=AjZ0KbJcav0

As motivational as the video may seem, I don't think the script is well-written.

Rewritten version:

Our brain is like a circuit switch. If we introduce it with proper wiring, we will go straight to our target. [I think it's better to first elaborate on why the circuit switch is mentioned. The analogy is strange to me.] Namely, once we believe we are something, we actually embody it. Conversely, if we are unsure about who we are, we can never realise our dreams.

Everyone has hit rock bottom in life, even the most successful people. What seperates them from the crowd is how they handle negativity; how they rise above it with positivity and confidence. Being successful in life is all about having the proper belief system in who you are. If you truly believe that you are unique and successful [Unique means special. It is tautology to say it twice. Also, I merge the two "conditionals" together to make it more concise.], you will look, act and sound like you do. [Type 1 conditional has the form "if + Simple Present, will-Future".]

I removed parts that are strange or repeated. Sorry I made it way too concise, but I like this more than the original one.

Yes, that's the video. I like how you arranged things, it seems more proper. I'm going to continue to add to it and subtract. I would like to put together an essay or research paper. I have all the info on the structure of a essay etc, but cannot put it together but mostly in my own words. I have Asperger's syndrome, which is a cognitive processing difference, that is different then average person. I speak in huge pauses and cannot fluidly carry on a conversation. Through practicing English writing, I hope to learn skills to be a better more confident speaker and writer.

Here are some point's, I would like to learn how to incorporate. I will attempt to put it together in the near future.

1)The fact that our brain doesn’t just absorb, but can also re-wire itself in response to certain repeated activities and experiences. Has opened new opportunities, for cognitive therapy. What it means is that cognitive functions such as attention, memory, critical thinking, decision making, multitasking and abstract reasoning may be managed and improved.

2)You have to feed and strengthen your mind like your body, through proper training/conditioning.

3)habits, form a chain of your ultimate character, of who you become, and how you end up living your life.

4) Decisions are regarded as the cognitive process resulting in the selection of a belief or course of action among multiple alternative possibilities.

5)If we don’t consciously plant the seeds of what we want in the garden of our minds, we will end up with weeds.

6)Decision comes from a Latin word “Incision” which means “to cut off from”, Decision is when you cut off any possibility except the thing that you are committed too.

7)Conditioning is this: when you build your muscle, do you lift weight only one time? No! You do it a lot, and you do it beyond what you are comfortable with, then the muscle expands. Now, what use to be hard to do, as the muscles grows, is now actually easy to do.

8) You have to make connections between neurons or in other words, nerve cells. So, to do this, you have to put a connection, a thin thread for example as a metaphor, between two neurons. Do it again and you have two threads, do it again thousands of times, guess what? You’re wired to do this.

9)We developed something called the cognitive muscle. We can train or un-train this cognitive muscle, like our muscles in our bodies. Repetition is key, until its gets conditioned results automatically. When you built a habit, it is ingrained in your nervous system in such a way, that the brain doesn’t even have to consider whether or not it gets done. You are either conditioned or unconditioned, which one are you?

10)There are pathways that must be activated in order to create new neural networks in the brain.

11)First, the act of thinking sets into motion a chemical reaction in the brain that can be likened to plugging in a string of lights. As you think about something—be it positive or stressful—you turn on a string of lights related to that topic.

Second, the more you think, feel and act the same way, the faster the lights turn on and the brighter they glow. Thus, the string of lights related to driving a car at 45 years old is much brighter and faster than the string you had at 16 years old.

Finally, we have trillions of brain cells, resulting in thousands (if not millions) of strings of lights correlating with our habits in all areas of our life. Donald Hebb’s landmark discovery in 1949, “neurons that fire together wire together,” best explains the process of wiring and strengthening brain pathways. The key is to activate as many of these pathways as possible given they work synergistically. One pathway alone is not enough to successfully rewire your brain. However, when you repeatedly align your beliefs, feelings, vision, and actions you will experience lasting changes in your brain.

12)You have to visualize. The brain can’t tell the difference between something real or imagined. When you mentally rehearse your new habits, you strengthen your ability to create them in your life. Identify images that align with accomplishing your goal and spend time visualizing them daily.

13)Change requires practicing a new habit. Consciously practice thinking, feeling, visualizing and acting in alignment with your desired intention. When you do this you will stop the unconscious habit of recycling the past and activate your ability to rewire your brain in the present moment.

14)Many scientists believe new neurons are continually born throughout adulthood.

PM me if you need any help with structuring your essay. :)

I can totally relate. I'm never good at speaking. My teacher commented I sounded choppy because I speak word by word but not form a sentence smoothly. There are quite many reasons for this... I think too much before I speak. I care too much about my grammar. Another thing is perhaps my inability to connect words together. Or maybe I simply don't know enough about the topic at hand. Others have suggested me to stop worrying about making mistakes and speak my mind. We are bound to make lots of mistakes initially. Just keep talking and keep improving.

It's true that learning to write fluently can help improve one's ability in expressing oneself. Equally important is to actually practise speaking. I'm working on recording myself speak about diverse topics every day. You can choose one yourself or search for topics online. If you have nothing to say about that one particular topic, you can read articles about that. Then you can recall what you've read from the articles and talk about the important points. Recording is for monitoring your progress. You can listen to yourself to see what can be improved. You can also compare yourself after practising for some time. This is what I found to be working for me, particularly because I'm a shy person who prefers to talk to myself than to people, haha. You can try that to see if it works. I'm just offering some suggestions.

You said you'd like to put together an essay or research paper. Do you have a theme in mind? Neuroscience? Success in life? Your newly added points seem to be relating our brains to our behaviour. Your first post is about motivating oneself to pursuit one's goals. Or are you combining both? It's better to choose a more specific topic.

As for putting together information from different articles, learning from writers is what I have been doing all along. In other words, I read a lot of articles. I learn how to combine ideas to form a coherent piece from reading well-written articles. Here's my try to group relevant ideas.

Habits
3) Habits, form a chain of your ultimate character, of who you become, and how you end up living your life. [The importance of having good habits, need elaboration]
2) You have to feed and strengthen your mind like your body, through proper training/conditioning. [Conditioning, need elaboration]

7) Conditioning is this: when you build your muscle, do you lift weight only one time? No! You do it a lot, and you do it beyond what you are comfortable with, then the muscle expands. Now, what use to be hard to do,as the muscles grows, is now actually easy to do. [This is the elaboration. The main idea is repetition.]
9) We developed something called the cognitive muscle. We can train or un-train this cognitive muscle, like our muscles in our bodies. Repetition is key, until it gets conditioned results automatically. When you built a habit, it is ingrained in your nervous system in such a way, that the brain doesn’t even have to consider whether or not it gets done. You are either conditioned or unconditioned, which one are you?
8) You have to make connections between neurons or in other words, nerve cells. So, to do this, you have to put a connection, a thin thread for example as a metaphor, between two neurons. Do it again and you have two threads, do it again thousands of times, guess what? You’re wired to do this.
[They all mention repetition. You can transform the three into one paragraph.]

13) Change requires practicing a new habit. Consciously practice thinking, feeling, visualizing and acting in alignment with your desired intention. When you do this you will stop the unconscious habit of recycling the past and activate your ability to rewire your brain in the present moment.
10) There are pathways that must be activated in order to create new neural networks in the brain. [How we form a new habit, need elaboration]
12) You have to visualize. The brain can’t tell the difference between something real or imagined. When you mentally rehearse your new habits, you strengthen your ability to create them in your life. Identify images that align with accomplishing your goal and spend time visualizing them daily.
11) First, the act of thinking sets into motion a chemical reaction in the brain that can be likened to plugging in a string of lights. As you think about something—be it positive or stressful—you turn on a string of lights related to that topic.
Second, the more you think, feel and act the same way, the faster the lights turn on and the brighter they glow. Thus, the string of lights related to driving a car at 45 years old is much brighter and faster than the string you had at 16 years old.
Finally, we have trillions of brain cells, resulting in thousands (if not millions) of strings of lights correlating with our habits in all areas of our life. Donald Hebb’s landmark discovery in 1949, “neurons that fire together wire together,” best explains the process of wiring and strengthening brain pathways. The key is to activate as many of these pathways as possible given they work synergistically. One pathway alone is not enough to successfully rewire your brain. However, when you repeatedly align your beliefs, feelings, vision, and actions you will experience lasting changes in your brain.
5) If we don’t consciously plant the seeds ofwhat we want in the garden of our minds, we will end up with weeds. [The importance of keeping the habits.]

Decision
6) Decision comes from a Latin word “Incision” which means “to cut off from”, Decision is when you cut off any possibility except the thing that you are committed too. [The origin of the word decision]
4) Decisions are regarded as the cognitive process resulting in the selection of a belief or course of action among multiple alternative possibilities. [Definition of decision]

1 and 14 do not seem to relate to others. You can first mention the importance of having good habits or how it can help us succeed in life. Then go on to talk about how we can form a habit (by repetition/persistence) with some neuroscience details and stress the importance of keeping them. Not sure if it's good to relate decision to habits.

Don't use the exact same words as the originals. A lot of parts have to be scrapped and rephrased. Of course you can add more details.

Continue speaking and writing! :)

Last edited:
Will do, Teechar, it means a lot to me. I have all the knowledge, but need to get pass grade 10. I go for an assessment in a few weeks to see where i'm at. thanks, again.

I never went to grade school, just a vocational high school for slow people. I was a behavior problem as a child, because I could never speak properly, spell my name in kindergarden, or express myself in a appropriate ways. As a child, my autism was not diagnosed because Hans Asperger research was just in the early stages.

So far, I locked myself up for 7 year's in my house to learn to write,read,spell,comprehend and set up experiments in marine bio etc. Now i'm ready for my upgrading, before entering the field of Neurology. Neurology is my 2 year goal for me, so I will be studying it for 2 year's, prior to my first University course.

Thanks ach4124, I look over what you wrote, and see what I can do. I just have a few questions about paragraph writing first.

I have question's about how to write a sentence and a paragraph. Just wanted to know if this is how to do it, and if there is anything else to add to it? I know sentences turn into paragraphs, and paragraphs turn into essays. So, if I am going to write an effective research paper, or thesis, then I need to start writing effective sentences and paragraphs.

Disclaimer: Not a teacher. I'm not sure if I can help.

If you're writing a research paper, I think it's important to work more on your organisation and flow of ideas.

Each paragraph should have a main idea. In general, the first/most important sentence in a paragraph is the topic sentence that identifies the main idea of the paragraph. The rest of the sentences are elaborations of your main idea.

To write a good topic sentence, you can ask yourself questions like:

Is the main idea clear?
Can one paragraph address the topic?
Does it provide a transition from the previous paragraph?

Here is an example: One of the strongest arguments in favour of limiting the amount of time that youngsters spend in front of screens is that children need to be more active in order to have a healthy lifestyle.

For the rest of the sentences, you should make sure they are elaborations of the main idea of the paragraph.

In academic/formal writing, you should pay attention to the followings:

Avoid contractions and phrasal verbs.
Paraphrase ideas you find online to avoid plagiarism.
Use tentative language.
Avoid vague words like some, somewhat, really.
Put the subject early in the sentence.

Google academic writing for more details.

These links may help:

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/tools/report/reportform.html
https://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/PlanResearchPaper.html

Thanks for the links.

I'm going to start with neuroplasticity, as the topic and controlling idea. I'm going to start from scratch and attempt to write a paragraph, then turn it into a thesis, then a research paper.:cool:

Neuroplasticity, is the process in which your brains neural synapses and pathways are altered as an effect of environment, behavioral and neural changes.

Can this be a topic sentence and controlling idea? or would it be better suited as a three point thesis statement?

Last edited:
Neuroplasticity, is the process in which your brains neural synapses and pathways are altered as an effect of environment, behavioral and neural changes.

I think this sentence does not count as a topic sentence. Most probably, it should go into the introductory paragraph. But are you sure the definition is right? It seems to me that neuroplasticity means the ability of our brain to change and adapt in response to experience, whereas neurogenesis refers to the process of generating new cells.

I just read about neuroplasticity. It seems that this is a very broad topic. Do you have something specific about neuroplasticity that you want to do research about? Is this an assessment or you simply want to write a piece on neuroplasticity as a practice? How many words do you want to write? I'm not sure how deep or specific your research is. Here's how I'd structure the essay with the topic 'Applications of neuroplasticity', which may still be too general. (I suggest choosing one particular application you'd like to work on or other things you're interested about neuroplasticity. After picking one particular area, you can make the topic more specific.)

Introductory paragraph:
Definition of neuroplasticity
Our misconceptions of our brain
How this idea emerged (the History of neuroplasticity)
Examples of neuroplasticity

[You decide you want these or not. The introduction may be too long.]

Main body:
1) How to change our habits through neuroplasticity
2) How to learn better through neuroplasticity
3) How neuroplasticity can help in curing diseases
[Add citations and tell us about researches that have been done on neuroplasticity.]

Concluding paragraph:
You can think about it.

Neuroplasticity(,) is the process in which your brain's neural synapses and pathways are altered as an effect of (due to) environmental, behavioral and neural changes.

Thanks tedmc,

That will be my first thesis statement ever written, but for now, I have an assessment for English to focus on, specifically on paragraphs. Then, I will do the thesis in two weeks from now.

Shortly, I'm going to put together three paragraph's.

Topic for all three, equals neuroplasticity. The three individual stand alone paragraph's, will have three separate controlling ideas: environment, behavior and neural changes and how they effect and alter our brains neural pathways and synapses.

Sorry ach4124 for the confusion, I really want to start a thesis first, then a research paper, but have to wait and concentrate on paragraphs. I'm trying to jump the gun, but have to take a step back, I appreciate your advice and will use it shortly.

Last edited:
Here is the style of structure, I would like to kind of copy:

There are three reasons why Canada is one of the best countries in the world. First, Canada has an excellent health care system. All Canadians have access to medical services at a reasonable price. Second, Canada has a high standard of education. Students are taught by well trained teachers and are encouraged to continue studying at University. Finally, Canada’s cities are clean and efficiently managed. Canadian cities have many parks and lots of space for people to live. As a result, Canada is a desirable place to live.

Last edited:
Neuroplasticity and the environment

Neuroplasticity is the process in which your brain's neural synapses and pathways are altered as an effect of environmental, behavioral and neural changes.

Please do not laugh if any of these points do not belong under environment, also if you have any more points to add please do. I’m just learning about the brain. Let me know which ones do not belong under the controlling idea environment.

I’m going to use some of these points to learn to write a hopefully coherent paragraph.

Environment:

The growing brain is stimulated by the environment, what you see and hear can effect a persons development.

Plasticity occurs every time something new is learnt.

People in an educational stimulating environment are assumed to have a thicker cortex and heavier frontal lobe (associated with thinking, planning, and decision-making) compared to people in a educationally deprived environment. This is the result of stimulating the environment to be educational.

Even in middle or old age, the brain is still adapting very actively to its environment.

The brain doesn't distinguish between a real or imagined event. The adult brain retains impressive powers of neuroplasticity—the ability to change its structure and function in response to experiences real or imagined.

Some people have never learned to use a particular pathway all together. These are the lucky ones that just need to learn to condition themselves to connect them.

our brain can often heal and restore lost functions, because it can form, unform, reform and find work arounds, using different path ways.

It is not the smartest species that survives, it's the most adaptable to change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back