Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi there, Can anyone please tell me if I need to use the definite article "the" in the following sentence.

1. Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are some of the world's best football players that have ever been born. They are very good humans as well as good players. They are (the) players that the world needs the most. They donate so much money to charities.

I don't think I must use the in that context because the world needs many players like them so if I use the it means they are the only two players. I want your opinions.

Last edited:
Hi there, Can anyone please tell me if I need to use the definite article "the" in the following sentence.

1. Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are some of the world's best football players that have ever been born. They are very good humans as well as good players. They are (the) players that the world needs the most. They donate so much money to charities.

I don't think I must use the in that context. I want your opinions.
The "the" is necessary. The "that have ever been born" and "as good players" are not.

The "the" is necessary. The "that have ever been born" and "as good players" are not.

But if I put the, that means they are the only two players that the world needs most. Isn't it?

But if I [STRIKE]put[/STRIKE] write the, that means they are the only two players that the world needs most,
doesn't
[STRIKE]Isn't[/STRIKE] it?
It means that they are the two most needed of all the players the world needs.

It means that they are the two most needed of all the players the world needs.

Thank you. I have found this sentence on a news site.

"We are people who walk where the winds take us."

Here, no definite article is used. So what is the difference if I add the?

"We are the people who walk where the winds take us,”

"We are people who walk where the winds take us."

Here, no definite article is used. So what is the difference if I add the?

"We are the people who walk where the winds take us,”

With the article, you are a group of people who, unlike other groups, walk where the wind takes you. Without it, you are a certain kind of people: those who walk where the wind takes you.

Without it, you are a certain kind of people: those who walk where the wind takes you.

Hi Goesstation I can't understand the meaning of the last sentence "those who walk where the wind takes you." Please explain. Does it mean "some people walk with us where the wind takes us" or "we are part of those kind of people who walk where the wind takes them."?

It was careless of you to fail to capitalise 'Ronaldo' and 'Messi' in your thread title when you got them right in the body of your post.

It was careless of you to fail to capitalise 'Ronaldo' and 'Messi' in your thread title when you got them right in the body of your post.

Thank you Rover. Could you please tell me the meaning of the last sentence that Goestation wrote in #6.

If you list only two players, it's unnatural to describe them as some​ of the best players. Change "some" to "two".

Thank you Rover. Could you please tell me the meaning of the last sentence that Goestation wrote in #6.
Give GS time to answer for themself. It's still the middle of the night in the USA.

Hi Goesstation I can't understand the meaning of the last sentence "those who walk where the wind takes you." Please explain. Does it mean "some people walk with us where the wind takes us" or "we are part of those kind of people who walk where the wind takes them."?
In my sentence, those means the kind of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back