Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In the blue blue sky, the white cloud sometimes is round, sometimes is flat, sometimes is just like my face [1]yo....

Xia Jie says '[2]Didi (Brother), sing for me with your sheepherd's voice'.

Xingxing looks a bit bashfully 'Jie (Sister), won't you laugh at me'?

'Nah'.

Then Xingxing starts singing with the impromptu lyrics 'in the blue blue sky'....

Watching the video clip, I feel like my heart just turned into another white cloud floating with the song to the country in the Northwest of China where Xia Jie lives.

[1] The word 'yo' is an auxiliary in the Chinese lyrics.

[2] I think it is not the English culture for siblings and cousins to address each other 'sister' and 'brother' which sound like some Christians might adddress each other, but such addressings are important in traditional Chinese human relations promoted by Confucius. So I use Pinying, the Chinese phonetic spelling here. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
In the blue blue sky, the white cloud sometimes is round, sometimes is flat, sometimes is just like my face [1]yo....

Xia Jie says '[2]Didi (Brother), sing for me with your [STRIKE]sheepherd[/STRIKE] shepherd 's voice'.

Xingxing, looking a bit bashful[STRIKE]ly[/STRIKE],says, 'Jie (Sister), Won't you laugh at me?'.

'Nah'.

Then Xingxing starts singing with the impromptu lyrics 'in the blue blue sky...'.

Watching the video clip, I feel[STRIKE] like [/STRIKE]my heart just turned into another white cloud floating with the song to the country in the Northwest of China where Xia Jie lives.

[1] The word 'yo' is an auxiliary in the Chinese lyrics.

[2] I think it is not the English (western) culture for siblings and cousins to address each other 'sister' and 'brother', which sound like some [STRIKE]Christians[/STRIKE] Westerners might adddress each other, but such [STRIKE]addressings[/STRIKE] forms of address are important in traditional Chinese human relations (culture/etiquette) promoted by Confucius. So I use Pinying, the Chinese phonetic spelling here. Does this make sense?

won't you laugh at me'?
This is inviting someone to laugh. It is a polite way of saying "Please laugh at me". Is that what you intended?

I don't think [STRIKE]it is not the[/STRIKE] native English speakers address [STRIKE]culture for[/STRIKE] siblings and cousins [STRIKE]to address each other[/STRIKE] 'sister' and 'brother', which sound like how some Christians might address each other, but such [STRIKE]addressings[/STRIKE] forms of address are important in traditional Chinese human relations, promoted by Confucius. So I use Pinyin, the Chinese phonetic spelling here. Does this make sense?
You're right that in English-speaking countries, people do not typically use "brother", "sister" or any words to address their siblings or cousins.

This is inviting someone to laugh. It is a polite way of saying "Please laugh at me". Is that what you intended?

You're right that in English-speaking countries, people do not typically use "brother", "sister" or any words to address their siblings or cousins.

I mean Xingxing is asking whether or not Xia Jie will laugh at him if he sings. He is not confident of his singing.

Now I realize I should have said ' you won't laugh at me, will you'?

Last edited:
Now I realize I should have said 'You won't laugh at me, will you?'

Note my corrections to your capitalisation and punctuation above. When a question mark is part of the quoted question, it goes inside the quotation marks. Full sentences inside quotation marks must start with a capital letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back