Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I use all the following syntax in my daily sentences. I know the A is correct, But I want to confirm if B is also correct.

A). Checking the version of Microsoft Windows
B). Checking the Microsoft Windows version

Are both A and B correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
No — neither is a sentence.

No — neither is a sentence.
I don't understand what's wrong in the above A and B. Why it's not a sentence?

Here is a use case:

When writing a bash script in Ubuntu like this:
echo "Checking the version of Microsoft Windows"
echo "The current version is: Windows 10"

It is just a prompt message and print it in the console.

I think it is a complete sentence.

But I don't know if this is also correct:

echo "Checking the Microsoft Windows version"

Is it the same or is the B just incorrect?

I don't understand what's wrong in the above A and B above. Why it's not a sentence? Why are they not sentences?
If a sentence starts with "Checking", it must be being used as a gerund. For example "Checking the oil level in your car is a good idea". That's not the case in your examples.
Here is a use case an example of usage:

When writing a bash script in Ubuntu like this ...
echo "Checking the version of Microsoft Windows"
I assume you're talking about the computer language Ubuntu, not the language spoken across large parts of Africa! I have no idea what a "bash script" is. When you say "echo", I'm not sure if you're talking about an Amazon Echo, the smart speaker brand.
... it is just a prompt message and print it in the console. I think it is a complete sentence.

I don't understand the underlined part at all. How do you print something in a console? What console? Where does the printer come into it?

If a sentence starts with "Checking", it must be being used as a gerund. For example "Checking the oil level in your car is a good idea".
It can also be used as a comment on what the person/machine is doing at the time, for example;

Returning to base (= what my cleaning robot says when it has completed its tasks)
Verifying you are human. (Message from Collins online dictionary when I look up a word.)

Checking the version of Microsoft Windows

I guess that's what part of a computer says/writes when it is performing that activity.

Neither of the two sentences in italics is a grammatical sentence - they don't have a finite verb. However, they are legitimate as messages. We understand the I am/we are that are necessary in a grammatical sentence.

I assume you're talking about the computer language Ubuntu, not the language spoken across large parts of Africa! I have no idea what a "bash script" is. When you say "echo", I'm not sure if you're talking about an Amazon Echo, the smart speaker brand.

I don't understand the underlined part at all. How do you print something in a console? What console? Where does the printer come into it?

To clarify a few things, fenglish has posted a snippet of code to display the phrase asked about on a device screen.

• 'Echo' is a Linux command to display whatever is inside the double quotation marks on a device screen.
  • 'Ubuntu' is an operating system, rather than a language (compare to Windows or MacOS), which mainly uses Linux commands.
  • 'printing on the console' refers to displaying a message on the device screen.
  • a bash script is simply a text file containing a list of commands used in Linux.

A). Checking the version of Microsoft Windows

B). Checking the Microsoft Windows version

I don't understand what's wrong in the above A and B. Why it's not a sentence?

I think it is a complete sentence.

As 5jj explained, they're not incorrect, they're just not complete grammatical sentences. To that extent, they are equally acceptable.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back