ChatGPT enormously saves the time I need.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote the following. Please help me to make the italic paragraph natural.

ChatGPT enormously saves the time I need to consult dictionaries when reading English books coming up with new words and phrases, and greatly help me better understand the contents of them. With the assistance of it, I now can make the best of English books I read.

Context: In the past, when I read an English book, I had many questions. I had to consult dictionaries (like dictionaries for English words and idioms, etc) or ask in the forums. Now, ChatGPT solves this problem for me. I can save a lot of time and therefore I can better understand the books I read.

Won’t ChatGPT do that for you?
My version is the free version. I don’t want to learn from AI but real teachers. I can ask the tool questions when I read books, especially those difficult words which I don’t use in everyday life. Besides, I don’t think ChatGPT is a good way to learn idiomatic English but it makes mistakes too.

Teachers, please help me if it’s possible.

ChatGPT enormously saves me an enormous amount of the time I need to consult that I would usually spend consulting dictionaries when reading English books coming up with I come across new English words and phrases. and greatly help me better understand the contents of them. With the assistance of its help, I now can now make the best most of English the books I read in English.

Context: In the past, when I read an English a book in English, I had would have many questions. I had to consult dictionaries (like dictionaries for English words and idioms, etc) or ask in the forums. Now, ChatGPT solves this problem for me. I can save a lot of time and therefore I can better understand the books I read.

Absolutely, yes. In fact, this is probably what it does better than anything.
While I agree with you that ChatGPT provides great ideas and can solve many of my problems, I still don't think it's perfect. Real teachers can help me to pinpoint the errors to improve my lexical accuracy while ChatGPT can't do it. I'm not a native speaker so I think I can't understand the tool perfectly like you do. Let's take a look at ChatGPT's version:

Version A:
ChatGPT enormously saves me time when encountering new words and phrases in English books, reducing my need to consult dictionaries. It greatly helps me better understand their content. With its assistance, I can now make the most of the English books I read.

Version B:
ChatGPT saves me a ton of time when I'm reading English books and encounter new words or phrases. It really helps me understand them better. With ChatGPT's assistance, I can get the most out of the English books I read.

Version B is what I asked it to help me with a colloquial version and the green part is a bit confusing. Who "encounter new words or phrases", ChatGPT or me?

Anyway, I'll try to save your time by using this tool but I hope you can still help me with my English. I don't think AI can replace human beings in terms of teaching a foreign language.

I still have one question about your corrected version, emsr2d2.

ChatGPT saves me an enormous amount of time that I would usually spend consulting dictionaries when I come across new English words and phrases. With its help, I can now make the most of the books I read in English.
My question is: I notice that you struck out the "when reading English books" part in the red sentence. Could you please tell me why? I mentioned it because most of the time when I read English books, I encountered new words and besides, I didn't encounter difficult English words at all. Do I need to be more specific and say:

ChatGPT saves me an enormous amount of time that I would usually spend consulting dictionaries when I come across new English words and phrases when reading English books. With its help, I can now make the most of the books I read in English.
Will it be better if I add the red phrase?

Much appreciated!

Are you saying that you need to use a dictionary only when you're reading a book in English? I find that hard to believe. If you're listening to English radio, watching TV and films in English and reading news articles in English (all of which you should be doing to help you English study), I'm sure you must come across new words and phrases that you need to look up.

I've never used ChatGPT so I thought I'd give it a go. I signed up and entered your original paragraph along with a request to provide a "colloquial version", exactly as you asked it to do.

This is what you say it suggested to you as a colloquial version:
Version B:
ChatGPT saves me a ton of time when I'm reading English books and encounter new words or phrases. It really helps me understand them better. With ChatGPT's assistance, I can get the most out of the English books I read.

This is what it suggested to me as a colloquial version:

ChatGPT saves me a ton of time when I come across new words and phrases in English books, so I don't have to keep checking dictionaries. It really helps me get what I'm reading, so I can enjoy my English books even more.

I find it interesting that there's not much crossover between the two.

Version B is what I asked it to help me with a colloquial version and the green part is a bit confusing.

It isn't confusing to us.

Who "encounter new words or phrases", ChatGPT or me?

You.

You used 'come up with', which was wrong. emsr2d2 corrected it to 'come across' and Chat GPT corrected it to 'encounter'. Both were good corrections.

Are you saying that you need to use a dictionary only when you're reading a book in English? I find that hard to believe. If you're listening to English radio, watching TV and films in English and reading news articles in English (all of which you should be doing to help you English study), I'm sure you must come across new words and phrases that you need to look up.
Yes, it might be a bit ridiculous but it's true. I don't like listening to English radio and even I do so sometimes, I can read the explanation of English words, one example is BBC six minutes English. They usually explain the difficult words and phrases to the audience. As for TV and films, I don't watch TV and films now, to be honest, I don't even have a TV at home, haha, people nowadays use their cellphone all the time, I use my computer. And yes, I sometimes read news articles online, but they're behind the paywalls. I sometimes did encounter new words and phrases, I always use online dictionary instead of asking ChatGPT.

But when it comes to reading books, things have changed a lot. If I don't ask ChatGPT to understand the phrases and sentences (more often than not including new words) in the books, I will ask elsewhere and waste everyone's time.

I spent around 1,500 pounds on English books, I bought them online. The publishers sent them to China. :)

I think what really matters is the connection between these two sentences. I want to focus on "only when reading books, ChatGPT helps me a lot and saves me a huge amount of time" and because of this, I now can "make the most of those books I read in English". So, I wonder if the following version is natural based on my explanation:

ChatGPT saves me an enormous amount of time that I would usually spend consulting dictionaries when I come across new English words and phrases when reading English books. With its help, I can now make the most of the books I read in English.
I think the red part becomes a bit redundant after I added the new phrase. Please help me. I'm sorry for taking up so much of your time on this.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back