Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
When you are chatting with someone, it is often use the acronym "lol". Although the official meaning was laughing out loud, another meaning often misrepresented. Which is similar like feeling of shock or surprised, what is the alternative suitable english word to describe that feeling?

omg — 'Oh my God!'

When you are chatting with someone[STRIKE], it is often use[/STRIKE] the acronym "lol" is often used. Although the official meaning [STRIKE]was [/STRIKE] is "laughing out loud", another meaning is often misrepresented (not mentioned?). [STRIKE]Which [/STRIKE] It is similar [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] to a feeling of shock or surprise[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE]. What is the alternative suitable English word to describe that feeling?

Note the corrections. There are other meanings of the acronym but I am not aware of the meaning you have mentioned.
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/LOL

When you are chatting with someone[STRIKE], it is often use[/STRIKE] the acronym "lol" is often used. Although the official meaning [STRIKE]was [/STRIKE] is "laughing out loud", another meaning is often misrepresented (not mentioned?). [STRIKE]Which [/STRIKE] It is similar [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] to a feeling of shock or surprise[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE]. What is the alternative suitable English word to describe that feeling?

Note the corrections. There are other meanings of the acronym but I am not aware of the meaning you have mentioned.
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/LOL

I have checked the link, none of it mention my question. How do you describe feeling of "lol" in English? (when you pronounce it), perhaps I am not asking about chat acronyms.

How do I describe the feeling​ of "LOL"? I can only say that it indicates that I found something funny.

How do I describe the feeling​ of "LOL"? I can only say that it indicates that I found something funny.

Our culture is different, over here maybe we use "lol" differently. Example of conversation :

Peter : Hey, you still have not return the books, when you are able to give my books back?
Jane : Sorry, my dog is sick today and i need to take him to the vet first, then another dog of my neighbor sick too, need to visit the vet twice
Peter : lol ok, take your time

In the conversation above, Peter doesnt mean funny. How do you describe that slightly shock or little surprised reaction? What is the suitable English word to describe it? that is what I am asking.

Are you looking for a word or another English acronym?

In the dialogue you gave, "LOL" seems entirely inappropriate to me. If my friend told me that her dog (and another dog) had been sick, my response would be "I'm so sorry to hear that".

For slight shock or a little surprise, the standard textspeak is, as you were told in post #2, "OMG" - Oh My God!

[Cross-posted with Piscean]

OMG is the one that comes to mind, but there are others, like FFS (For F***('s) Sake), which can register shock, surprise or disbelief.

Are you looking for a word or another English acronym?

In the dialogue you gave, "LOL" seems entirely inappropriate to me. If my friend told me that her dog (and another dog) had been sick, my response would be "I'm so sorry to hear that".

For slight shock or a little surprise, the standard textspeak is, as you were told in post #2, "OMG" - Oh My God!

[Cross-posted with Piscean]

Rover has already suggested omg for that. Lol would be completely inappropriate in the UK.

Thanks, now apparently it is obvious people from other continents interpret the meaning differently. I wont use "lol" anymore unless it is funny then

I won't use "lol" anymore unless it is funny then

The British Prime Minister used it thinking it meant Lots of love. After the laughter he provoked, he will probably be very careful using it again. ;-)

That's a fairly common misunderstanding. One of my friends texted a relative to report the death of her (my friend's) mother and received "LOL" as the reply, along with a sad face emoticon. It took her a while to realise that the other person thought "LOL" meant "Lots of love".

In the pre-Internet days, LOL meant "little old lady".

That's a fairly common misunderstanding. One of my friends texted a relative to report the death of her (my friend's) mother and received "LOL" as the reply, along with a sad face emoticon. It took her a while to realise that the other person thought "LOL" meant "Lots of love".

That's interesting- I assumed he was alone and out of touch in thinking that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back