Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Would you please explain characteristic/collocative verbs for flags?

If a flag pulled to a pole doing arrhythmic motions what is said for the flag?

1) The flag is waving.
2) The flag is flying.
3) The flag is floating.

And would you please add the synonyms for this flag-characteristic motion?

waving is the best description of the motion.

flying simply means on show.

floating is not right.

They can also hang limply.

waving is the best description of the motion.

flying simply means on show.

floating is not right.

1. Can wave in this sense be used for also human hairs?
2. Would you please introduce the synonyms for wave in this sense?
3. I cannot understand your explanation for flying. I looked "on show" after you have introduced it. Now I know it. When a flag is on its pole, does this mean the flag is flying? For being flying should the flag be seen by people? Because "on show" means "available for people to see."

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/on-show

When a flag is on its pole, does this mean the flag is flying?

Yes, that's what I meant. Intended for people to see.

It doesn't necessarily mean there's anyone around to see it though. A particularly eccentric hermit living a hundred miles from anyone could fly the flag if he felt like it.

Flags fluttering if it is a quick, rhythmic movement.

It doesn't necessarily mean there's anyone around to see it though. A particularly eccentric hermit living a hundred miles from anyone could fly the flag if he felt like it.
Would you please explain the part "he felt like it". It's hard for me to understand it.

It could be replaced by flying the flag.​ Does that help?

It could be replaced by flying the flag.​ Does that help?

Yes, it is much help but I think the original would be a very idiomatic phrase. Maybe in the future I might become familiar with it.

Yes, it is much help but I think the original would be a very idiomatic phrase. Maybe in the future I might become familiar with it.
Variations on I flew the flag because I felt like it are very common, but I don't think the phrase qualifies as an idiom. The it replaces a phrase like flying the flag. If it helps, you can insert doing: ​...because I felt like [doing] it. "It" is the thing you just mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back