Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

Certainly, he heard a lot of stories about UFO’s, but he always laughed at and considered them as a tale.

My teacher said there was a mistake in the sentence above. Frankly speaking, it sounds good to me. What's the problem?
Thanks.

The whole context is: The whole field was lit up and there were some strange noises. Mr. Burton could not believe his eyes - it was a flying saucer. Certainly, he heard a lot of stories about UFO’s, but he always laughed at and considered them as a tale.

It seems to me that the sentence should end as follows: "considered them as tales."

Perhaps:

Certainly, he had heard a lot of stories about UFO’s, but he always laughed at them and considered them fictional.

There are other possibilities.

:)

The end should be "considered them to be fiction" or "considered them to be made-up". At the beginning, it should be "Certainly he had heard ...". Can you see why?

(Cross-posted with Tarheel.)

To be honest, I can't understand why I should use the past perfect there. :cry:

"Certainly, he heard a lot of stories about UFO’s, but he always laughed at them and considered them to be fictional/made up." This seems OK to me.

If you're talking about a habitual action (hearing lots of stories about UFOs), I agree. However, it seems to me that it is specifically that he had heard lots of stories and thought them fiction before he saw one for himself.

Either way works, IMHO.

:)

Note ems's use of UFOs.

There's no need for an apostrophe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back