Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm not sure how the word "caviar" is usually pronounced in the US.

Could you tell me how I should pronounce it. :-?

Like straight up, I pronounce it like in Spanish :-o

Yes, except that the first 'a' is as in 'cat', not 'casa'.

If you want to hear native speakers of hundreds of different languages pronounce specific words, try Forvo.com.

Here's the link to the word "caviar" spoken by two native AmE speakers. I find the second one (female) unnatural but I'm sure one of our AmE speakers will be able to tell us whether the stress is put on the third syllable in some regions.

Last edited:
If you want to hear native speakers of hundreds of different languages pronounce specific words, try Forvo.com.

Here's the link to the word "caviar" spoken by two native AmE speakers. I find the second one (female) unnatural but I'm sure one of our AmE speakers will be able to tell us whether the stress is put on the second syllable in some regions.

I agree. The second one sounds like someone who may have heard a language other than English at home.

There are several examples there with the stress on the third syllable, not on the second.
Caviar, not caviar.

Both of them sound fine to my AmE ear. The 2nd one is actually closer to my pronunciation.

The second one sounds odd to me. For me, the accent should be on the first syllable.

I inadvertently wrote in my first post that the second pronunciation had the stress on the second syllable. I did, of course, mean the third syllable. I have corrected my error.

caviar(e) ['kævɪɑː]

I have that in my signature. That way I include it in my posts without having to write it each time, (even if I'm in the 'Fun and Games' forum, and nobody could care less if you're a teacher there).

However, my understanding of the forum rules is that it is only required in the 'Ask a Teacher' forum, isn't it?

You are right:

Replying in the Ask a Teacher section

I was wrong. Sorry.

In that case, I have been wrong multiple times. I regularly add "Not a teacher" or ask that it be added to responses in the Editing and Writing Topics section, not just "Ask a Teacher".

I think it should be used in all threads.

There are several examples there with the stress on the third syllable, not on the second.
Caviar, not caviar.

Where I come from, the stress is on the first syllable. People either say CAV-yar (two syllables) or CAV-ee-ar (three syllables). And yes, the a in cav is iike the a in hat.

I'm a teacher! I mentioned this in my profile. (I didn't take it from a dictionary. I can transcribe myself. Phonetics was one of my favourite subjects at university). I even had my keyboard specially adjusted to be able to do that.

I'm a teacher! I mentioned this in my profile. (I didn't take it from a dictionary. I can transcribe myself. Phonetics was one of my favourite subjects at university). I even had my keyboard specially adjusted to be able to do that.

Your profile says "Interested in language", it doesn't say "Teacher".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back