Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I have found out that when it comes to calling animals with both their name and the sort of animal, we use the following pattern:
1) Name + the + type of animal
E.g.: Shaun the sheep, Woof the cat, Blanka the dog.
And I have some questions, viz.:
a. Are we forbidden from calling animals with both their names and types of animal using other patterns, viz.:
2) Type of animal + name, e.g.: cat Woof, dog Blanka;
3) Name + type of animal, e.g.: Woof cat, Krash bunny.
b. Can we use pattern 1) for people and other things, e.g.: Serge the mister, John the detective, Elisabeth the queen, George the rock (some people are even prone to give names to their rocks...)

I have found out that when it comes to calling animals with both their name and the sort of animal, we use the following pattern:
E.g.: Shaun the Sheep, Woof the Cat, Blanka the Dog.

And I have some the following questions: viz.:

a. Are we forbidden from calling animals with both their names and types of animal using other patterns? viz.: For example:
2) Type of animal + name, e.g.: cat Woof, dog Blanka; No
3) Name + type of animal, e.g.: Woof cat, Krash bunny. No
b. Can we use pattern 1) for people and other things, e.g.: Serge the mister, John the detective, Elisabeth the queen, George the rock (some people are even prone to give giving names to their pet rocks). No, with the exception of "George the Rock" due to people jokingly having "pet rocks". Therefore, it follows the pattern in 1).
Note my corrections and comments above.

What you need to understand is that this isn't a question of grammar or good/bad English. The examples in 1) are just a kind of novelty/fun way of giving titles to those animals. That's why the normally common noun in each one should be capitalised. "Shaun the Sheep" is his official title.

E.g.: Shaun the sheep, Woof the cat, Blanka the dog.

Well, often, as emsr2d2 has suggested above, the whole thing constitutes a name, in which case you should capitalise the animal word too. Remember: if it seems like you're trying to name something, use capitals. Here are some more examples:

Winnie the Pooh
Champion the Wonder Horse
Billy the Kid

And I have some questions, viz.:
a. Are we forbidden from calling animals with both their names and types of animal using other patterns, viz.:
2) Type of animal + name, e.g.: cat Woof, dog Blanka;

We don't usually do that, unless there's a preceding determiner:

My cousin Vinny is staying this weekend.
Her dog Pickles died yesterday.
I love my sister Mary.

In these cases, only the capitalised word constitutes the name.

3) Name + type of animal, e.g.: Woof cat, Krash bunny.

We can do this to form names, yes;

Top Cat
Snoop Dogg
Bugs Bunny

b. Can we use pattern 1) for people and other things, e.g.: Serge the mister, John the detective, Elisabeth the queen, George the rock (some people are even prone to give names to their rocks...)

Not if the following noun is meant as part of the name, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back