Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Idea to be conveyed: A car was parked behind mine. It was not just behind but also placed cross to mine (I've no idea what word to use here). That is, the other car's doors faced my car's trunk. I am trying to complaint (not for real but in my head) the manner in which it was parked.

My attempts:-

1. The car was parked behind mine (and) cross to it.
2. The car was parked crossed to mine in the back.
3. The car was parked cross to mine in the rear.

I don't think any of them work and I am not able to come up with anything better.

Last edited:
The car was parked perpendicular behind me.

--lotus

Or: The car was parked side on behind me.

The car was parked orthogonally behind mine.
The car was parked directly behind and at a right angle to mine.
The car was parked behind mine in a T-shape.
The car was parked directly behind mine such that, if we both drove forward in a straight line, our trajectories would form a right angle.

Yes, really. I would say "perpendicular." Some might say "at a right angle."

"Head on" is familiar, as in a "head on collision." But not "side on."

Yes, really. I would say "perpendicular." Some might say "at a right angle."
"Side on" doesn't necessarily mean "perpendicular". For example, if you park 'side on' to a curb, you are parking parallel to the curb. I find the above use of 'side on' [to someone's boot (trunk)] to be a bit confusing too.
"Side on behind me" suggested to me "parallel and beside me, but somewhat behind me", eg. with the other car being in an adjacent lane with its front tyres level with my car's back tyres.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back