[Grammar] Capitalization of essay titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Hi

the is my first topic

commonly, when I write an essay, the first letter of the title is capitalized while the other initial letters are small

ex

The ps5 will be released in 2019

on the other hand, I saw news articles make capitalization to every initial letter in the title of an essay

ex

The Ps5 Will Be Released in 2019

Q1 should i capitalizeevery initial letter in the title of an essay or not

Q2 which is preferable present simple or past simple in saying, dialogue conversation or quotation

ex

The king insists or the king insisted that ......?

He said or he says ?

Q3 Is there a difference between using past participle and using the regular form S+V+O

ex

brainwashed by terrorism and extremism ( note the word brainwashed must refer to a pronoun or subject previously mentioned )

or

They are brainwashed by terrorism and extremism

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, mrmvp.

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'
(Extract from the Posting Guidelines)

Please ask the unrelated Q2 and Q3 in separate threads with a title specific to each.

Thank you.

Hi.
​[STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] This is my first [STRIKE]topic[/STRIKE] post.

[STRIKE]commonly[/STRIKE] Usually, when I write an essay, the first letter of the title is capitalized while the other initial letters are [STRIKE]small[/STRIKE] not. [STRIKE]ex[/STRIKE] For example, "The ps5 will be released in 2019."

On the other hand, I [STRIKE]saw[/STRIKE] have seen news articles [STRIKE]make[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]capitalization[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] in which every initial letter in the title is capitalised. [STRIKE]of an essay [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]ex[/STRIKE] For example, "The Ps5 Will Be Released in 2019."

[STRIKE]Q1[/STRIKE] Should I capitalize every initial letter in the title of an essay or not?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

First, see my corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every new sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.

News articles don't usually quote essay titles. What you have shown is more likely to be a headline in a newspaper. In headlines, each word is frequently capitalised.
It is unlikely that you would write an essay with the title "The PS5 Will Be Released in 2019". You might write an article with that title and, in that case, I would capitalise it as I have shown. Usually, little words like "in/on/the/at" are not capitalised though. Note the correct capitalisation of "PS5".

Thank you so much for correcting my mistakes.

Do we capitalize function words like prepositions , articles and demonstratives in the title of an essay and headlines?

Thank you dear teacher

Thank you so much for correcting my mistakes. Do we capitalize function words like prepositions, articles and demonstratives in the title of an essay and headlines?

Thank you. [strike]dear teacher[/strike]

Capitalisation is usually based on the length of a word. Generally, a two-letter word won't be capitalised. It does usually turn out to be things prepositions and articles but there is no absolute rule.

Note that there is no need to put so many empty lines between your paragraphs. One empty line is enough. Remember that we don't put a space before a comma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back