Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I am really confused by this topic, friends, and have been trying to sort it out for a long time already; however, nothing seems to work. I hope you do manage to help me find the right answer, buried very deep on the Internet.
My English teacher said that all school subjects had to be capitalised, and I began trying to figure it out. Almost all I've found says that only when talking about some specific ones, we have to capitalise them.
So, a few questions have arisen (I hope you answer them), viz.:
1. Maybe it's actually optional and old fashioned capitalising all subjects all the time (except for languages and some specific ones), e.g.: I'm like (biology, English, and chemistry/Biology, English, and Chemistry)?
2. If so, can we also capitalise them when they're used adjectively, e.g.: My (chemistry/Chemistry) teacher is very friendly?
3. When it comes to sciences, is capitalising them optional as well, e.g.: I love (linguistics, mathematics, physics, and astronomy/Linguistics, Mathematics, Physics, and Astronomy)?

There's no point using "English" as an example in your question. It's capitalised every time you write it!

Do not use an initial capital for school subjects except languages.

This issue is really quite simple—use capitals for names. The problem is—and it is a very hard problem—how to know whether something is a name or not.

If you're referring to a course rather than a subject, you're very likely to be naming the course, in which case you should capitalise:

I'm thinking of changing my major from Computer Science to Applied Linguistics.
She teaches Icelandic Literature in the mornings and Postmodern Studies in the afternoons.
She's enrolled on Nursing and Healthcare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back