Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Okay, I've learnt all the rules on title capitalisation, but there's something that I've encountered that none of the rules can explain, viz.: when it comes to single letters and letter combinations in titles, do we capitalise them?
For example, let's imagine this is a title, and if it were, would -e have to be capitalised?
Example 1:
The Final -e
The Final -E

Example 2:
The Ending -ing
The Ending -Ing

Example 3:
The Prefex re-
The Prefix Re-

You haven't yet. We are still waiting for you to respond in this thread.
I have answered. Incidentally, I've read all the ever-written rules on prefixes and suffixes in titles, and all I can say is that none of the websites I've visited says anything about capitalising such alone-standing prefixes and suffixes. Maybe they are actually treated as nouns in this case, and that's why they are to be capitalised?

I can't think of any godly reason that you'd want to capitalise a prefix or suffix. Even if it's part of a title, don't do it!

As far as writing individual letters of the alphabet goes, you can choose either upper or lower case without worrying. Just make sure it's obvious what you're doing. Normally, enclosing the letter in inverted commas helps:

I wrote a text entirely without using the letter 'e'.
I wrote a text entirely without using the letter 'E'.

In a title, I'd normally use a capital:

How To Use the Letter 'E'

Example 1:
The Final -e
The Final -E

In this case, since you're talking about the final letter, which is normally lower case, it's perhaps a bit more appropriate to use a lower case 'e'. I'd do it like this:

The Final 'e'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back