Croatia
Dear friends,

The following is the wording that will be engraved in a plaque:

Seedling of the Year 2010
Awarded to
Pushpa Suresh
For
Bob Carran

Now, to explain: Pushpa Suresh is the name of the recipient of the award Seedling of the year 2010, and Bob Carran is the name of the bloom for which Pushpa Suresh has received the award.

My questions:

Should "Awarded to" be written with the capital letter, or not?
Should "Awarded to" be followed by ":"?
The same question for the word "For".
Is it necessary to somehow distinguish the name of the bloom from the name of the person? Some people sugested " ", but it seems for me that quotes are not appropriate for this purpose.

Thank you very much!

Nina

Awarded to
Pushpa Suresh
For
Bob Carran

Nina.
There are no definite rules for setting type for a plaque, but it would be best if you could get somebody with experience in graphic design, typography or printing to give you some advice. There are so many possible ways to set the type that it is difficult to advise you in a short response.
However:
I would start "Awarded" with a capital A. I would probably not give "to" a capital T, and would not give "for" a capital F. But if you think it looks better then capitalise them both, not just one.
I would not put colons :)) after "Awarded to" or "for".
Perhaps the words "Pushpa Suresh" could be set in slightly larger type than "Awarded to/for".
I definitely agree that quote marks (") would not be suitable for the bloom name. It might be worthwhile seeing how "Bob Carran" looks in italics (Bob Carran). Italics are often used for the names and titles of things in print and it would be an effective way of indicating this on the plaque. Depending on the font used, italics can also look quite elegant, which may add something to the overall effect.
I hope this is of some help.

not a teacher

How about:

Bob Carran
Awarded to
Pushpa Suresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back