Can you say this is a typical experience on your first day?

future_wave

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone,

I had an uncomfortable experience yesterday and would like to share it to see if it’s just me or if what transpired was atypical.

I’ve been teaching English Composition, Rhetoric, Writing, and Linguistics since 1998 in various settings, primarily to native speakers. Recently, I was hired to teach ESL at a small, private school. My first official day was yesterday, and it was stressful and uncomfortable.

I interviewed for the position about a month and a half ago and was informed that the course starts in June. Most students and staff are native Spanish speakers. After receiving the offer, I communicated with the hiring manager and submitted the necessary paperwork. Since it was almost two months before June, I didn’t hear back until I reached out last Thursday to follow up about picking up the textbook. The hiring manager claimed he had called and emailed me, but I did not receive any communications.

I asked if I should arrive early on the first day and was told to come a few minutes before class. I found out the night before that I would be administering an oral exam. When I arrived, I was given the textbook, a list of student names with time slots, a grading rubric, questions and images for the oral exam, and a digital timer. I was also given the students’ scored written exams, which I hadn’t reviewed.

The front desk staff was unfamiliar with the placement exam process, and the owner informed me she had to leave for another location right in front of the first student.

I think the way the test was administered along with the fact this is the first time they met me created an intimidating atmosphere.

The students' English competence varied. Some seemed unaware of what to expect from the oral exam. I took notes to place students according to the rubric. After the first student left, the receptionist rushed back in and brought in their written exam and told me to score the placement immediately, even though I had just received the rubric. The levels were labeled intro through 5, with no correspondence to CEFR, IELTS, TOEFL iBT, etc., and they don’t teach above level 3.

I believe there are better ways to prepare both students and instructors for an oral exam.

Does this sound like a typical experience? I don’t want to be upset with the administration if I’m being overly sensitive.

Thank you for your insights.

Last edited:
It seems like a poor start for all concerned -- both students and teacher. Hopefully, things have improved since then.

(Apparently, a grading rubric is a rubric that has something to do with grading.)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back