Can you say: It's weird how/that you've asked me to be your boyfriend. Are both oka

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Can you say: It's weird how/that you've asked me to be your boyfriend.

Are both okay?

Yes, but they have different meanings for me.

With "how" it refers to the method; with "that" it refers to the fact.

Yes, but they have different meanings for me.

With "how" it refers to the method; with "that" it refers to the fact.

What about; ''The way you have asked me to be your boyfriend is weird''. Is it okay to refer to the method also?

If what you actually think is weird is the way, then yes. I am intrigued to know what kind of weird ways a girl or boy might use to ask someone to be her/his boyfriend.

I am intrigued to know what kind of weird ways a girl or boy might use to ask someone to be her/his boyfriend.

So am I.
I'd like to try it/them.:-D

When I was in school, the teachers beat that use of "how" out of us. (figuratively)

If what you actually think is weird is the way, then yes. I am intrigued to know what kind of weird ways a girl or boy might use to ask someone to be her/his boyfriend.

The girl asked my friend to get her a work visa so she can stay in the country and she's offering to be his girlfriend...

That is not only weird, it might be illegal.

It's illegal but not very unusual or weird (in the UK, at least). Well, using a work visa to do it is a little unusual. Normally (if that's the right word), a foreign national pays a UK citizen a large sum of money to get married so that the foreign national can get a "spouse" visa. It's called a "marriage of convenience".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back