Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please take a look at the following sentences:

Can you imagine that someone who has never studied at a university or a college and nor has this person studied abroad to speak fluent English? Maybe. But how about this person speaking idiomatic English? That's perhaps just me.

I wrote the above the sentences to start my talk. I was supposed to talk about how to study English. I know perhaps you think that I'm bragging about my capability of speaking English but it's not me who says that my English is good but my audience. So, based on the fact of this, would you please correct the above sentences?

Can you imagine that someone who has never studied at a university or a college and hasn't studied abroad can speak fluent English? Maybe. But how about this person speaking idiomatic English? Maybe it's just me.

I wrote the above [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] sentences to start my talk. I was supposed to talk about how to study English. I know perhaps you think that I'm bragging about my capability of speaking English, but it's not me who says that my English is good but my audience. So, based on the fact of this, would you please correct the above sentences?

I think they mean that compared to them you're really good at it. (That might be true.)

Not a teacher.

I liked this: "...who has never studied at a university or a college and hasn't studied abroad". How about this: "who has neither studied at a university or a college nor studied abroad"?

Can you imagine/believe that someone who has never studied at a university or a college [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] nor [STRIKE]has this person[/STRIKE] ever studied abroad [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can speak fluent English? Maybe. But how about this person speaking idiomatic English? That's perhaps just me.

I wrote the above the sentences to start my talk. I was supposed to talk about how to study English. I know perhaps you think that I'm bragging about my capability of speaking English but it's not me who says that my English is good but my audience. So, based on that, [STRIKE]the fact of this,[/STRIKE] would you please correct the above sentences?
The underlined sentence does not connect with the preceding part, and yes, it does sound as if you're bragging about yourself. Consider rewriting the entire thing.

On a personal note, somebody once told me that my pronunciation is pretty good, and I knew less Spanish then than I know now. (Not much.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back