[Grammar] Can we use the as an article before word another ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanuj.kelkar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
[FONT=&quot]Hello All Experts,
In biritsh english I have seen many times people often use “the” before “another” but recently came across comment saying “the” should not be used before “another”.

Example like - I have “the another” ball in my basket.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Can experts guide on this ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

Welcome to the forum.

It's incorrect to put 'the' before 'another'. No exceptions.

Hello [STRIKE]All Experts,[/STRIKE] everyone. (Also, note that there was no need to capitalise "all experts".)

In [STRIKE]biritsh[/STRIKE] British English I have seen [STRIKE]many times[/STRIKE] that people often use “the” before “another” but recently I came across a comment saying “the” should not be used before “another”.

Example [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] - I have “the another” ball in my basket.

Can [STRIKE]experts[/STRIKE] anyone guide me on this?
[STRIKE]Thanks in advance.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

You have received a clear answer from Rover but please note my corrections to your post above. It is important to follow these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Always capitalise proper nouns (British, English, Microsoft, Shakespeare).
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

You can thank people for helpful answers by clicking the "Thank" button in the bottom left-hand corner of a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back