Can we use "standards" instead of "criteria" here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
To be selected as a subject in this study, a patient has to meet the following criteria:

According to the Collins Cobuild Dictionary 6th edition,
A criterion is a factor on which you judge or decide something.
A standard is something that you use in order to judge the quality of something else.

Btw, not a teacher.

According to the Collins Cobuild Dictionary 6th edition,
A criterion is a factor on which you judge or decide something.
A standard is something that you use in order to judge the quality of something else.

Btw, not a teacher.

Seems almost the same.
Confusing...

You assess something against a standard. For example, in a dog show, a the standard for a male in a breed might be "28 cm at the shoulder." A dog that is 28.5 cm or 27.5 would be judged well against the standard. A dog that is on 24 cm would be judged under-sized. (I made that up - I have no idea if height at the shoulder is a normal standard or not.)

A criterion is a yes/no.

You must be at least 25 years old and no more than 40 years old. If you are 24 or 41, you don't meet that criterion.

Have you looked up the two words in a dictionary?

Yes. My dictionary tells me they are the same:

criterion [krai'tiəriən]
n.
1. a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated

standard ['stændəd]
n.
1. a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated

But my intuition tells me NO or NOT REALLY.

You assess something against a standard. For example, in a dog show, a the standard for a male in a breed might be "28 cm at the shoulder." A dog that is 28.5 cm or 27.5 would be judged well against the standard. A dog that is on 24 cm would be judged under-sized. (I made that up - I have no idea if height at the shoulder is a normal standard or not.)

A criterion is a yes/no.

You must be at least 25 years old and no more than 40 years old. If you are 24 or 41, you don't meet that criterion.

Thank you.
It helped, not much though.
It seems I still need some more information to get a crystal clear picture. Hope other members give me a hand.

Think of a standard as a target. You can hit near the bull's eye, and even though you did not hit in the cneter, you can still score well.
Think of a criterion as an on/off switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back