Can we say 'have a nice weekend' on Staurdays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Have a nice weekend' is often heard on Fridays. Is that OK to say it on Saturdays as well?

Hello jiaruchan, I'm not a teacher, but I hope my advice helps!

A weekend is considered to be Saturday and Sunday in American culture, so it wouldn't be normal to wish someone a good weekend when they're already in the weekend. However, it is acceptable to say, "Have a good rest of the weekend!" Or you can say something else like it.

I hope this helps. :)

Hello jiaruchan, I'm not a teacher, but I hope my advice helps!

A weekend is considered to be Saturday and Sunday in American culture, so it wouldn't be normal to wish someone a good weekend when they're already in the weekend. However, it is acceptable to say, "Have a good rest of the weekend!" Or you can say something else like it.

I hope this helps. :)

Thank you. Do you mean it is quite different from 'have a good day' said during the daytime when people are already there?

Thank you. Do you mean it is quite different from 'have a good day' said during the daytime when people are already there?

I'm not a teacher.

Well, I suppose. That would depend on the circumstances. Let's say a group of students has just arrived at a camp for the weekend. It's Saturday morning, and the instructor wishes the group to have a good weekend. But if it's Saturday evening or night, it's not normal to wish someone a good weekend. Even in the middle of the week, I've heard people say "have a good rest of the week."

I'm not a teacher.

Well, I suppose. That would depend on the circumstances. Let's say a group of students has just arrived at a camp for the weekend. It's Saturday morning, and the instructor wishes the group to have a good weekend. But if it's Saturday evening or night, it's not normal to wish someone a good weekend. Even in the middle of the week, I've heard people say "have a good rest of the week."

I see. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back