Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Germany
Please, only native speakers!

Are these called both files and binders? Each has two rings and a lever that's used to open and close the rings.

file_noun_002_13798.jpg

I would only call them "binders".

Not for me. I might put my files in binders.

Not for me. I might put my files in binders.
I know that this might be beyond the scope of this thread but would you so kind as to clarify the difference between file and binder for me? I have heard native speakers use file to refer to any container containing documents but I also know that files can be documents too. I am really confused about the difference, so I'd be really grateful if you could help.

A file is something with information in it. A binder contains things. It might have photos or files or whatever.

I know that this might be beyond the scope of this thread but would you so kind as to clarify the difference between file and binder for me? I have heard native speakers use file to refer to any container containing documents but I also know that files can be documents too. I am really confused about the difference, so I'd be really grateful if you could help.

The binder is a physical object. A file is a collection of information. It may be physical or not. You may have files for different customers, or for different aspects measuring the performance of your company.

The file for the Peterson account may indeed be in a binder. Or it could be in a folder. Or it could be in a computer.

If it is in a binder, someone may grab the binder and say "I got the Peterson file." And they would be correct. The file is in the binder. The binder is not a file.

Please, only native speakers!
Please note that all members are free to respond to all questions if they feel they have the knowledge to answer.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back